Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling in Staten Island

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 1:09 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 3282 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Hi, I'm new to this group and was just wondering if anyone knew of any homeschooling groups in Staten Island.  I have a 5 yr. old & a 17 mth. old and would love to homeschool but would like to have a meet up group so the kids can make friends with other homeschool kids. 

I don't get to go online often so it may take time for me to reply to anyone. 

Thanks. :-)

by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof2IA
by Helping Hands on Aug. 30, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Sorry I don't.  Check with your church, realators, school etc.  Look under school in your phone book and if there is an assosciation it should be listed.

MomtoX
by Testing the waters on Aug. 30, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Thanks, I was looking online, but didn't find anything. I didn't think of asking the church, I'll see what happens. :-) 

NYCitymomx3
by Helping Hands on Aug. 30, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Hi!  There are lots of homeschool groups in NYC.  I would first try THIS ONE.   It's a REALLY active group and we get together all the time for great trips, playdates, activities, tours, shows, and classes.  A bunch of members are from Staten Island and can give you contact info for local SI groups.  Every borough has its own groups.  I'm in Queens and between my local group and the NYC group, our calendar is always full! 

The groups don't label themselves as following any particular homeschool method or religion.  We have almost 200 members -  everyone from from classical school-at-homers to radical unschoolers.  Curriculum (or lack thereof) is not an issue at all. 

Angela

Come and see my BLOG!

MomtoX
by Testing the waters on Aug. 31, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Thank you so much.  I am going to look into that site.  I had seen groups from NYC but didn't realize that people from Staten Island were in those groups.  I felt like no one was homeschooling where I live.  I've always felt that I should be my child's teacher and to teach him in a relaxed way.  Of course not everyone that I know agrees with me.  I will look into the group you suggested.  Thank you so much.    

lucabella1002
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi

I am in Staten Island and also am looking into homeschooling. I have a four year old who just started PreK. But, I have long been considering an alternative form of learning. If you find out any more info please let me know.

Is your child enrolled in school yet or are you already homeschooling? I don't even know where to begin!

MomtoX
by Testing the waters on Sep. 14, 2009 at 9:21 AM

My son is in school (kindergarten) and has been crying EVERYDAY.  I know he is attached to me, but I don't see how it's healthy to have him cry every time he has to go to school.  He comes home with a hoarse voice.  I want to homeschool, but I also am not sure where to start.  I've been trying to find whatever info. that I can to start it.  Someone had suggested a homeschool group that I am going to look into.  They said there are other parents from Staten Island. 

How is your son doing with preschool? 

Stamatina79
by Testing the waters on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a homeschooling mom and have tons of resources! Pm me.... We can get together. 2 daughters....4 yr old girl and a 2yr old girl.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JonSamDy
by Testing the waters on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:21 AM

Good morning everyone,

I know some posts are old but hoping that everyone is still around! I homeschool my children and would love to start a group for STATEN ISLAND MOMS who have chosen this road.  If anyone interested please respond and hopefully together we can get a great thing going for our children :) Have a great day and all the best, Lisa

MamiSI
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Hi im in s.i begining to homeschool my 18 month old. I havent found any homeschool groups or meet up groups on the island. I Started cafe mom group called staten island babies toddlers and preschoolers so that staten island moms of children in this age group can find each other and start connecting . I also posted some events going on here.The library has events and story times for babys and preschoolers. I posted this weeks schedule, it might be a good way to connect with moms. Also, I found these links which I found helpful in constructing activities for my 18 month old daughter. Productive parenting.com andhttp://www.preschoolexpress.com/meet_jean.shtml. Good luck.
SI_sue
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi, I am new to the group as well. My child just turned 8, I am also, very shortly going to be homeschooling and hoping to get together with other parents and children. And of course share recourses.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN