Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Textured food help

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2011 at 10:33 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 431 Total Views
We think Ty has some texture issues. His speech therapist does feeding stuff too (which cuz of his dysphagia is actually why we got her). So tomorrow she will be here and I wanna have some different texture stuff for Ty to eat so she can see what is happening. So far I have corn, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, dry cereal, and pasta. Anything else you would suggest having ready before noon mst?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2011 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
zolanmel
by Group Admin on Jan. 26, 2011 at 11:45 PM

meats like chicken,beef. applesauce ,peas, crackers..

Amy127
by on Jan. 27, 2011 at 9:04 AM
cheese
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2kyky
by on Jan. 27, 2011 at 11:27 PM

shredded cheese is always fun. And a good texture activity is yogurt with granola in it or fruit in it. 

zolanmel
by Group Admin on Jan. 28, 2011 at 11:51 AM

how did it go?

Mipsy
by on Jan. 28, 2011 at 4:45 PM
I didn't do it yesterday cuz I almost cancelled. I can only sleep 2 hours at night so it killed me yesterday. They just did normal stuff yesterday but I'm getting a list together for next week. Sone suggestions I dont think I can use cuz he's never had it cuz of allergies, you know? So I'm finding alternatives (like daiya cheese. It has no milk, soy, or gluten).

Quoting zolanmel:

how did it go?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zolanmel
by Group Admin on Jan. 28, 2011 at 9:42 PM

hmm no milk soy or gluten.. there are some cereals are gluten free. Im not sure about soy. but ive baught them  before and the are good.

shortygirlb
by on Jan. 29, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Does your son eat food now...are you trying to just get him started eating food? My son has some real feeding problems. Problems with textures, biting and chewing. We also are trying to work on self feeding with him. If your son already eats food I would think crunchy things are the most offensive to him. Soft things that dissolve don't seem to bother these kids as much. There is so much that goes on in the mouth that just happens as kids develop. When this gets interrupted and they need to be taught to bite and move food around in the mouth to swallow...that becomes difficult. They gag a lot with textures too! It's a process that's for sure! My son mostly eats a pureed diet that I make from table food.

I'm not sure if I have anything on my blog about his feeding problems. http://bubberlou.blogspot.com/

Good Luck!

Mipsy
by on Jan. 29, 2011 at 3:18 PM
He eats but he will only eat a few things. If its pureed like baby food he'll eat anything but if its not mashed basically or cereal or anything he can just suck on and swallow he gags on it. He chews sometimes but mostly swallows whole or sucks on it. But we had an incident with corn where even touching it with his hands made him gag and about puke everywhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amy127
by on Jan. 30, 2011 at 4:59 PM
I'm very interested in how it goes. My son is exactly like what you ladies are describing. He is 2 1/2 and still on stage 3 babyfood-and even sometimes those aren't pureed enough for him. I usually grind up what eat through a food processor. We've made an appt with our ped to discuss his eating, I feel like we haven't made any progress in the last year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN