Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anxiety Drugs

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 6:12 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 271 Total Views
I need a little advice from people who've been where I have. My little girl Kiara was born three months premature, she spent four months in the NICU two hours away from home. She still eats through a mickey-button/feeding tube, because she can on;y handle about hald an ounce a day orally. Over all things are looking up for Kiara's condition...

I on the other hand have been emotionally stressed, and worried about all the time I've taken off for Kiara's certian medical needs, I'm not able to make ends meet with my paychecks, just barely managing, but I'm still managing. Its put a lot of stress on me though. I've been getting upset more and more every day, and I usually end up breaking down about twice a week now, where everything gets to me, and I can't stop crying. It all just is so overwhelming for me at certian times that I can no longer handle it all. I freak out so to speak...

I've talked to my boyfriend about going to see a doctor, to see if I can get something for anxiety because I'm tired of yelling at him all the time and taking it out on him. But he got angry with me and said he doesn't want to see me hiding behind a pill...

I'm curious as to how many of you take something for anxiety, and if you don't, why did you make that choice? I need advice, its been over a year since Kiara was born, and I handled most of that very well, surprisingly well, I don't even know how I made it through that year without freaking out like I am now...
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Geoffreysmom
by Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 6:56 PM
I never took any pills.  I ended up calling my mother and she lived with us for 3 months during my son's first year.  That helped me out alot.  Plus they moved out here last year and take him 3 days a week to give me a break.  My husband was alot of help when my son first came home also.  He realized I needed me time and would let me go to the store or just out by myself alot.  Now if it gets too much, I let someone know and they take him for a little while.  My husband is gone for the next 6 weeks for training on his job.  My son is alot of work for one person, so I'm happy my parents are out here. 

I hope you get some help, even if it's from a pill.  My husband went on pills last year and they helped him alot.  Plus leaving a crappy job helped also.

"Hugs"
Jacemommy31506
by Group Owner on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:06 PM
i have anxiety and always have even before my son was born but i have never taken drugs for it, i dont like drugs, they always have side effects and there just not for me , i dont even like taking tylenol or anything. I just talk about my anxieties and problems and deal with them, everyone is different tho!
TonysMomma223
by Member on Jul. 26, 2007 at 10:06 PM
I am on Ativan for my anxiety that developed after the birth of Tony... but I have to take it because sometimes the panic attacks are so bad that I can't calm down... one instince my heart rate was at 198... not good... I almost passed out.. needless to say I only take the pills when I need too. If I feel like I may have a hard day I take them.
kellyebush
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 6:14 PM
I have suffered from Anxiety problems for as long as I can remember.  I went on Zoloft at my one week checkup after my preemie was born.  It helped some, and I was able to go off it before he ever came home from the hospital.  I recently decided that my anxiety was more than I could handle, and more than my kids and my DH should have to put up with.  The combination of depression and anxiety was making me into the kind of Mom that I knew that I didn't want to be.  So, I went to the dr, three weeks ago yesterday, and asked for medication.  I got a diagnosis of Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and I take 60 mg of Cymbalta daily.  I was also given a prescription for Tranxene for "breakthrough" anxiety, but I haven't needed to get that filled yet.  I admit...the side effects that I have to deal with are interesting...but I'm VERY glad that I am taking the meds.  I would rather be a nice person because the meds help me than be the big B that I was being because my emotions were out of control.  We have enough going on in our house without my moodiness causing problems for everyone.

Kelly

atuss
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2007 at 8:34 PM
I have taken different anxiety meds for a year and a half now. Before I got pregnant with my preemie, I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Cancer, which was why the anxiety meds were originally prescribed.

All my life I have fought depression and have also taken medication for that. I have been diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety disorder.
When the first diagnosed me with Depression and GAD, I was prescribed Cymbalta and Xanax.

Both medications definitely helped, but the Xanax was almost too sedating. The Cymbalta was for depression and I'm sure it helped but I only stayed on it for a couple months because of the side effects.

Once things started to calm down and I felt like I was doing better, the doctors switched me from Xanax to Ativan. The Ativan is much less sedating. I still took it when I absolutley had during my pregnancy (it can cause dependance for you and the baby) and that was ok with my doctor.

I strongly believe in taking something when all other options have failed. My husband feels like your boyfriend (not wanting me to take a pill for everything) but sometimes I think that's the only solution! 
hollywoodangel
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2007 at 1:21 AM

Quoting kellyebush:

I have suffered from Anxiety problems for as long as I can remember.  I went on Zoloft at my one week checkup after my preemie was born.  It helped some, and I was able to go off it before he ever came home from the hospital.  I recently decided that my anxiety was more than I could handle, and more than my kids and my DH should have to put up with.  The combination of depression and anxiety was making me into the kind of Mom that I knew that I didn't want to be.  So, I went to the dr, three weeks ago yesterday, and asked for medication.  I got a diagnosis of Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and I take 60 mg of Cymbalta daily.  I was also given a prescription for Tranxene for "breakthrough" anxiety, but I haven't needed to get that filled yet.  I admit...the side effects that I have to deal with are interesting...but I'm VERY glad that I am taking the meds.  I would rather be a nice person because the meds help me than be the big B that I was being because my emotions were out of control.  We have enough going on in our house without my moodiness causing problems for everyone.

Kelly

That's part of the reason I'm considering anxiety meds. I don't want to be the Big B at home ya know. I need to focus on Kiara's needs, and my anxiety attacks are kind of selfish at times.
kellyebush
by on Jul. 28, 2007 at 10:38 AM
I totally understand.  I was able for a long time to separate my emotional problems from my kids (or so I thought) but when I started to really "HEAR" the way that I spoke to my daughters (age 4 and 6) I knew it was not fair to them how I was acting.  My best friend has always commented on my patience level being very high...and I'm working very hard at getting that back again.  Plus, my house is a lot cleaner now than it was a month ago when I was too depressed and anxious all the time to care about the fact that the laundry was piled up.  I'd say it has been a really positive thing for my family, and when I asked my daughters earlier this week if they noticed a difference since I started my new medicine, they both gave me the "thumbs up" so I know it isn't my imagination. 

Kelly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)