Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Post Eye Surgery Questions

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:51 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 187 Total Views

My 16 month old son, just had eye surgery on Wednesday.  The surgery was to correct his eyes so that they are straight.  He had exotropia in both eyes (they both veered out).  Well, it's been one day, but I'm concerned because now my son looks cross eyed.  His eyes are more inward.  If any of you have had exprience with this surgery, is this just from the first day?  Do the eyes adjust over time?  If so, how long before they get adjusted?

Thanks for any help/advice/thoughts/answers!

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mamatware
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 2:19 PM

My son had the same thing done at 15 months old.  Aren't grown ups a bunch of sissies????  Really, Robby was fine immediately after the surgery, I never even had to give the boy Tylenol....and the nurses, it was funny....accused me of eating his jello!!!!  He hadn't eaten since the night before of course and they brought me in a thing of jello and told me to try to feed it to him.....and he was hungry, ate it all really fast...so when the nurse came back in, she hadn't been gone long at all, she thought that I had eaten it!!!!  I HATE JELLO!!!!  Right now their is still some post op swelling going on, so things may not be "settled" how they are going to be, so that could be part of it.  But something I have learned through my journey with Robby is "normal parameters" meaning that they measure the angles of the eyes in something called diopters (or something like that) but anyway, any rotation in or out that is less than 5 diopters is in normal parameters.  I remember at one of Robby's appt the doc said "it's between 30 and 35 diopters" and I said, "so 32.5" the doc laughed and said that it's a choice, wish that it was.  Robby's eyes are still not perfectly straight to this day, but they are within normal parameters, and what's more important than the eyes being perfectly straight is that they are now both working as a team-that is one thing that I didn't understand recently.  That was the reason for the surgery becasue the exotropia made it so that they eyes could not function together as a team, and everything is "wired" in a way that expects them to.  Before Robby's surgery he needed glasses, after his surgery the doc was lecturing about keeping the glasses on him, he would not keep them on, I actually asked the doc if duct tape or super glue would work better.  But that is a whole nother story, Robby does not need glasses based on functional vision assessment, but according to the refraction exam he is extremely farsighted, but by watching Robby it is very clear that he can see just fine!!! 

I took this pic the night before Robby's surgery.

This was the night after.

And this is now, they way he looking, you can tell his left eye is still a bit "off".  Man, he is getting old and dragging me with him!!!!!

marklorna
by Lorna on Nov. 19, 2009 at 11:23 PM

My daughter had surgery before age 2 - she was crossing inward.  Now she is 12 and her eyes are no longer straight.  However, the pediatric opthamologist has told us that a second surgery would just be cosmetic.  It would not change her vision.  So, it's not something we will do again. 

You can expect some adjustments as the muscles sort themselves out and strengthen.  So don't worry too much about his eyes being perfectly straight.

When you have a special needs child, it is like floating in the ocean. You will have highs when you ride the top of the wave and move forward and lows when the wave crashes over you and sucks you back. As you are riding a low wave of sadness, frustration & disappointment, just keep in mind the next wave will take you back up and move you forward once more.

Condutive Education Information Sharing at:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/50043/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)