Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some advice, please bump if you dont know

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:32 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 220 Total Views

My son is autistic and has sensory disorder. Today was an awesome day outside and we decided to go out since for the past months its been snowing and cold. My son has been excited to go out but when we got outside, he just froze up and wouldnt move. So I firgured it would take a little bit for him to get use to but he sat down on the ground and flipped out. But if he stands on concrete he's fine. I need advice on how to get him use to it since its about to be summer and we are an active family. Any advice is great....

Heres a picture of how happy he started out! :)

Im a mother to 1 beautiful son. I dont believe in ERF! I delay vac. I dont spank in public, I use a child harness when in public, I love tattoos. I circumsized my son, I havent cut his hair in 17 months, Im a smoker, and occasionally drink a few. I dont believe in co-sleeping, and believe we are all allowed to make mistakes with our children no one is perfect! Im a wife to a union worker, and a stay at home mom

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kimsardo
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:57 PM

bump

willysmama
by Valerie on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:05 PM

bump

Elyssa414
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 9:46 PM

When my son was having sensory issues we did a couple different things. One thing he really had a hard time with was crowds or big spaces. He always wanted to be in small enclosures, like his crib or stroller, (well past the age for cribs and strollers! lol). A therapist told us that he probably had a hard time knowing where he ended and the world began, (in very simple terms), so being in crowds or wide open areas would make him totally panic and feel completely out of control. One thing that helped was a weight vest. It would put just a little extra pressure  on him to give him some awareness  of his body, and help him feel more in control. Some kids respond well to pressure vests, too. Acheivemnet Products sells both, and even "sand animals" that they can hold or wrap around their shoulders to give them that extra pressure.

Also, off the top of my head, if he's cognitavely aware enough, maybe you could have him pick out some special hiking boots to help him feel more in control and secure about his trips outside?

Good luck, and talk to a therapist about the weighted vests/ pressure vests

Elyssa414
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Here's the link to some of their weighted products:

http://www.specialkidszone.com/Product_Level2.asp?SubCategoryID=103

peasntatersmom
by Leslie on Mar. 9, 2010 at 8:01 AM

Great idea Elyssa!  :)

The only other thing that I can add is just to keep taking him outside.  Bring favorite toys or anything that makes him happy/comfortable with him to kind of distract him from his discomfort.  The hope is that eventually he will learn that it is okay and he can have fun outside. 

I love the pic ~ absolutely adorable!!  Good luck with this and please update us!!

*HUGS*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)