• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1st grade ... scared

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 200 Total Views

So Makiyla starts first grade next week.  I'm nervous, scared, worried. She did 2 years of kinder and that was ok because kinder isn't serious. 1st grade has tests, reading, spelling, homework. How do you moms with older kids with delays handle it? How do you get them to pass? She will still get her services several times a week, but her normal teacher ... Will she have time for my daughter? I guess I'm just a mom freaking out lol

Lilypie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
peasntatersmom
by Leslie on Aug. 8, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Hi!  :)

*Breathe*  It is going to be ok!!  As a mom with a child in public school, I can tell you that first grade really isn't that different from kindergarten.  It will not be such a drastic change that your daughter will feel overwhelmed.  Hopefully her new teacher will be just wonderful and will help to walk her through any rough patches she may have. 

It is important to have good communication with the teacher (e-mail, telephone, hand written notes, or speak in person if possible) so that you are aware of how her days are going and if there are any areas that she may need some extra help at home.  But I am guessing that she would not have been promoted to first grade if they didn't think she was capable, so this is great news!!  Please keep us updated on her progress throughout the school year!  I look forward to reading more from you! 

MariahD
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Thank you =) And I honestly don't think she's ready.  Alaska is a no child left behind state (I don't know if every state is like that now) and I requested she do 2 years of kinder (which she did) and basically she can't be held back again. I put her in private school last year and she did GREAT, but the private school I had her in mixes 1st-3rd grade and everyone thought that wouldn't be good for her. I'm probably just being worried. And I truly think she does better when I'm not around lol

peasntatersmom
by Leslie on Aug. 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Hi again!  :)

We are also a no child left behind state (Arkansas), which in theory is a great plan, but in my opinion doesn't really take into account each child's unique struggles and abilities.  Does she qualify for a special needs school?  My son will be attending his 4th year at Sunshine School this year.  It is a school specifically for special needs children/adults.  He is not able to go to public school due to his delays. 

I totally understand your worries, I think most of us here worry lol.  Please keep us updated!

MariahD
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I will have to check about a special school ... I've asked about a special ed class. Like a full time class instead of going into a "normal" class most of the time & they said she wasn't that in need, but I don't know. I'm going to check this year. I didn't know they had special schools!! Thats great ... thank you for the heads up on that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)