Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:20 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 337 Total Views

For any of you who have done this I could use a little help. My ds Tim is 3.5 and has motor planning issues. We have been working on potty training for 3 weeks now. Tim is in underpants at school and at home. To pee I have to place him on the toilet either on a "potty seat" or just the toilet ( if we are out and I don't have a potty seat). He is learning to point himself down and I think all things concerned he is doing great job. So far he is not pooping on the toilet. So once a day he has an accident in his underpants. We have talked and talked about it he just doesn't seem ready. Oh I forgot to mention that when he is with me or my dh he tells us when he needs to pee. I don't think that is happening at school yet but hopefully soon.

I know we still have a long way to go but I would really Iike to hear from other Mom especially of little boys what the journey looked like for you. I know we need to get him standing and peeing but I was hoping the pooping would be easier if he was sitting. I welcome any advance! Thanks - Sharon

Update - so as of this post Tim is potty trained!  For over a month now Tim lets us know that he has to go to the bathroom.  He is even pooping on the toilet now.  Last week my dh and I have been trying to work on having Tim pee standing up.  He is really having a hard time aiming.  But I am sure he will figure it out soon. He can go on his own but since we are working on standing we are still going to the bathroom with him.  Having him be independent will be our next step.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
hbeam27
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I'll be interested in the responses to this post.  My son is 2.5 years old and he too has gross motor delays.  We would have to place him on the potty and help take his clothes off.  We have just started to introduce the potty and what it's for so you are way ahead of us.  

sayres
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:07 PM
I have been using the book "The Potty Journey". Though written for parents of autistic children I really love how every step is broken down.

Quoting hbeam27:

I'll be interested in the responses to this post.  My son is 2.5 years old and he too has gross motor delays.  We would have to place him on the potty and help take his clothes off.  We have just started to introduce the potty and what it's for so you are way ahead of us.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephensmom1214
by Patty on Jul. 9, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Ok, Stephen also has motor planning issues, and he IS potty trained, during the daytime, anyways!  Pooping often just takes time, even with kiddos who are typically developing.  I have a friend who's daughter was almost 4 by the time she was willing to poop on the toilet, and she is "typical," and was pee-trained at 3.  Pooping on the potty is really scary for most kiddos!

That being said, I have no advice, except to try watching for his cues and just put him on the toilet when he looks like he has to poop, and praise, praise, praise!  That might help his fear.

sayres
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 12:15 PM
Thank you for your response! Tim pooped in the toilet yesterday. We will see how it goes today. Does Stephen stand to pee? Did you start out that way or did you transition to standing? How independent is he now about going to the bathroom?
Thanks!

Quoting Stephensmom1214:

Ok, Stephen also has motor planning issues, and he IS potty trained, during the daytime, anyways!  Pooping often just takes time, even with kiddos who are typically developing.  I have a friend who's daughter was almost 4 by the time she was willing to poop on the toilet, and she is "typical," and was pee-trained at 3.  Pooping on the potty is really scary for most kiddos!

That being said, I have no advice, except to try watching for his cues and just put him on the toilet when he looks like he has to poop, and praise, praise, praise!  That might help his fear.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephensmom1214
by Patty on Jul. 11, 2011 at 3:39 PM

He is still not very independent about the toilet in terms of just going when he needs to go, but he does let us know most of the time so we can go with him.  He can do it all on his own, but I think he just wants someone to go with him for whatever reason.  We are just starting to work on standing... we'll see how it goes, though! 

It's hard still to convince him to stop playing so that he can go to the bathroom, even when he really needs to pee.  Just a typical kid thing, I guess, but we make him clean up after himself as much as he is able when this happens.

And YAY for pooping on the potty!!!

Quoting sayres:

Thank you for your response! Tim pooped in the toilet yesterday. We will see how it goes today. Does Stephen stand to pee? Did you start out that way or did you transition to standing? How independent is he now about going to the bathroom?
Thanks!

Quoting Stephensmom1214:

sayres
by on Aug. 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM
Update is up in red.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peasntatersmom
by Leslie on Aug. 12, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Fantastic news!!  way to goTim!!!!  you rock

willysmama
by Valerie on Aug. 12, 2011 at 8:04 PM

That is awesome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)