Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Low muscle tone

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:32 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 194 Total Views
Hi everyone. My son Nathaniel (our first) is 6 months old and has been going to a bajillion doctors since birth. He has laryngomalacia and had to have a tracheostomy placed so he could breathe well enough to eat and grow. He has been really behind physically since then, but we just thought it was because the trach was uncomfortable. He got referred to the early intervention program, and physical therapy, and tomorrow we I for a speech and feeding evaluation. Apparently he has really low muscle tone-- like no tone at all. He does not hold his head up, doesn't grab toys, has no upper body strength at all really. His legs are fine, just from the hips up he has almost no tone. His doctors seem to think there is something else going on to cause these issues, but the genetic testing all came back normal. I'm not sure what the root of the problem could be, but I'm hoping that since he's only 6 months and starting therapies now, maybe he won't stay too far behind everyone else in his age group.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
gerifeld
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Hello. Both of the twins were referred to PT at 1 month old b/c of torticollis. The PT also noticed during the eval that they have hypotonia and they have been having pt ever since. Now they are 26 months old and are walking. They still are behind their age group, but keep making gains. We had all the genetic testing done as well and they come back normal. You are doing all the right things and with therapy ur son should make progress and eventually catch up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)