Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

gluten free Stephen

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 260 Total Views

Last weekend, I'd finally had it with Stephen's behavior and complete inability to focus on anything for more than a minute, and decided we would try removing gluten from his diet.  I did a lot of reading, and asking people I know who are gf for advice, and by midweek (so 1.5 weeks ago), we'd managed to eliminate all gluten from his diet.  To my surprise, the the effects were obvious in just a few days.  By Friday that week, his teacher reported that he sat down and worked on a task for 15 minutes straight with NO teacher assistance or prompting to contine.  This past week, she reported multiple instances of him choosing his OWN activity and working on it for long periods of time without adult assistance.  We've also noticed that he is more willing to work on things at home for longer periods, and as following directions more quickly, and usually with only being asked to do something once.

This is certainly not something that I'd recommend for everyone, and it's not a miracle cure by any means - we still have a long way to go.  It certainly helps him to not feel like he's in a fog anymore, I think, and that's what matters to me.

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sayres
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM
This is really interesting. Tim has been making a lot of progress but his biggest issue is his lack of focus/attention. Since Christmas I have been giving him fish oil. I noticed a difference at first and he is doing better then he did before but it hasn't made is attention "age typical".

What does Stephen eat? Are you all eating gluten free? Did he fight you because he couldn't eat his favorite foods?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marklorna
by Lorna on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I know several parents that follow gluten free for their children.  They also had very good results.  We had results when we removed dairy.  It just depends on what intolerance your child experiences.

Stephensmom1214
by Patty on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Quoting sayres:

This is really interesting. Tim has been making a lot of progress but his biggest issue is his lack of focus/attention. Since Christmas I have been giving him fish oil. I noticed a difference at first and he is doing better then he did before but it hasn't made is attention "age typical".

What does Stephen eat? Are you all eating gluten free? Did he fight you because he couldn't eat his favorite foods?

We are eating gluten free for all of our family meals, but DH and I are still eating regular bread, because it's just too expensive to go through 3 loaves of GF bread every week.  He also gets fish oil most days (because sometimes I forget, LOL!). 

He's not fighting us at all on food, because he's never been a picky eater, and we are one of those "eat what you're served" families.  There are a suprising amount of foods that are GF, so that makes it easier as well.  I've been sending fruit cups to school for him, and he's happy with those for snacks.  We have replaced all of our pasta with gluten free pasta, and there are baking mixes we can use for cookies, brownies and cakes.  I haven't tackled anything more complex than that yet.  We didn't have to make any changes for breakfast, because he almost always wants to eat oatmeal anyways.  We don't eat a lot of processed foods, so it really hasn't been too hard to make changes.  :-)

sayres
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Thank you for your response. I will need to do more research. I wonder if I could use a bread machine and make my own bread. For lunch Tim loves pb&j or pizza that I make. I might check out some gluten free cook books at the library.

Quoting Stephensmom1214:

Quoting sayres:

We are eating gluten free for all of our family meals, but DH and I are still eating regular bread, because it's just too expensive to go through 3 loaves of GF bread every week.  He also gets fish oil most days (because sometimes I forget, LOL!). 

He's not fighting us at all on food, because he's never been a picky eater, and we are one of those "eat what you're served" families.  There are a suprising amount of foods that are GF, so that makes it easier as well.  I've been sending fruit cups to school for him, and he's happy with those for snacks.  We have replaced all of our pasta with gluten free pasta, and there are baking mixes we can use for cookies, brownies and cakes.  I haven't tackled anything more complex than that yet.  We didn't have to make any changes for breakfast, because he almost always wants to eat oatmeal anyways.  We don't eat a lot of processed foods, so it really hasn't been too hard to make changes.  :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 1:23 PM

this is really great!! I'm glad you found a way to help him. i have heard about this before and i have also heard about removing red dye from children's diets and it helping them improve their focus and helping their behavior.

Stephensmom1214
by Patty on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Quoting sayres:

Thank you for your response. I will need to do more research. I wonder if I could use a bread machine and make my own bread. For lunch Tim loves pb&j or pizza that I make. I might check out some gluten free cook books at the library.

There are companies that MAKE gf bread that are pretty decent.  Stephen will go through about 1 loaf a week, because he LOVES his pbj for lunch too.  Fortunately, he doesn't care for pizza, but there are also pre-made gf pizza doughs that I have seen.  I think for starting out, it's been a lot easier to buy stuff than to cook, because the non-wheat flours are a lot more touchy - you can't just do a straight substitution of, say, rice flour.

peasntatersmom
by Leslie on Feb. 20, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I was talking to a friend at the school a few days ago who was telling me about the gluten free/cassiene free diet and how it has helped her autistic son with the same issues that you are talking about.  She said how she was very skeptical at first but she was at the end of her rope and just had to try something.  She was very surprised at the results and is going to continue!

Thanks for sharing this!  I think you have given us all something to think about!

willysmama
by Valerie on Feb. 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM

That is awesome!

jaydensmom1726
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 3:09 PM

with the brad machine you should be able to take out the regular flour and sub somthing like rice,or tapioca flour there is also a grain called spelt that is very low gluten.my sons last babysitter used it and even her kids that are gluten intollerant could eat it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)