Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stroke at birth

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 8:30 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 148 Total Views

Hi. I'm Brianna. My sons name is Romeo Alexander. He is three years old now. He suffered a stroke within hours after his c section birth on 3-4-2009. He suffered from apnea, seizures and was in the NICU for a while. He took fenobarbital for the seizures for a month but has had no seizures since. He didn't speak until he was a year old, besides babbling and "dada". He had some right side weakness but it is hardly noticeable now. He is all caught up with speech and seems like any other happy healthy three year old boy. I still worry about how it will effect him with development such as potty training and learning in school. Id like to know if there are any other mothers in this group who have a child who has suffered a stroke and can offer support and advice. Thank you for reading!

:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Steph_G.
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Hi :) I don't have experience with your situation, but I'm glad to hear that your son is doing well. I think kids are really resilient and I know it's hard not to worry, but I would reccommend you just take things as they come and worry about problems when you have them, until then enjoy the fact that your son made it through such a rough start to life.

willysmama
by Valerie on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi and welcome. Glad to see your son is doing well. There are a few moms on here that their kiddos have had strokes.

peasntatersmom
by Leslie on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Hi!  :)

My son, Jerry, did not suffer a stroke at birth but rather at age 5 months - due to a blood clot that somehow made it to his brain as he slept in his crib one night. 

His occurred in the right temporal lobe, in the area that controls speech, vision, hearing and memory.  He is now 8 years old and severely delayed, functioning at around 3 1/2 years old in most areas.  He is non-verbal, despite having continued speech therapies since about a year old.  He does have what they call word approximations; meaning he is trying to speak and you can tell what it is he is trying to say but the sounds just don't come out right. 

He began having infantile spasms (seizures) at the age of 6 months.  He has intractable epilepsy due to damage done to his brain from the stroke.  His seizures are largely uncontrolled by meds but we're still trying.  I have been away from the group for a little while actually because he has been having a rough time with this and trying to adjust to new meds.

He is a very happy little boy for the most part.  He is very affectionate and has moments of no seizures when I see his little light shining bright.  :)

Here is a link to my youtube: 

http://www.youtube.com/user/LeslieDMartin?feature=mhee 

There are several videos of him there.  Please feel free to have a look if you want to know more!

It sounds as if your little guy is doing well.  Stay strong and please know that each child is different.  Remember that therapies do help and anything you do at home to supplement those is also very beneficial to your guy.  He is learning every minute!  I am here if ever you wanna talk. 

hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN