Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone else?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:10 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 266 Total Views

anyones child cry/shake after they wake up? we have a new ot and ill bring it up with his team of course but im just curious. he will wake up and kinda stare at the ceiling and cry and cry in a super high pitch, if you try to comfort him, by picking him up he thrashes and pushes you off, if you hold his hand he wont grip your fingers if you call his name it takes a few times to get him to look in your direction. then he will stop and just kinda move his feet around and then start again. it lasts for about 10ish mins sometimes less sometimes more. i took a video of it just in case his pedi's or therapists or nero wanted to actually see it. also when he is watching cartoon he flips when commercials come on, or if anyone touches him. he dosent want anyone near him or touching him. :(

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Steph_G.
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:37 AM

I've never had that happen, and I would definately talk to your OT. I'm not an OT or anything, but I wonder if a weighted blanket would help him feel more grounded and connected to the world so that when he woke up it wouldn't be such an adjustment.

SimplyErathy
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

ok well the ot told me to look up sensory intergration dysfunction and omg the hyposensitive is 100% him O_O im not sure if i should be happy this could be it becasue if so we know where we need to work with him, or be sad becasue its not somthing i can easily fix :(

Sensory Integration Dysfunction Symptoms: What You Must Know!

Sensory Integration
Dysfunction

Signs Of Auditory Dysfunction:

Hyposensitive: 

May not respond to verbal cues, loves loud music and making noise, may appear confused about where a sound is coming from, may say "what?" frequently. 

somtimes i seriously think he cant hear me, and its beyond the normal toddler range. my dd dose it too but she at least looks at me and then keeps doing what ever shes doing. he dosent look or anything i have to say his name like 10 times and eventually end up yelling his name and then he responds

Signs Of Oral Dysfunction: 

Hyposensitive: 

May lick, taste or chew on inedible objects, loves intensely flavored foods, may drool excessively, frequently chews on pens, pencils, or shirt.

i thought he waws just weird...he loves to lick smooth surfaces, like tables, pens, windows, books, blocks, ect he will eat spicy stuff not even my husband (the man who loves jalapanos) can eat, no one likes holding him becasue even at 2.5yo he drools like a 5 month old teething baby :/

Signs Of Olfactory  Dysfunction

Hyposensitive: 

May not notice unpleasant or noxious odors, smells everything when first introduced to it, may not be able to identify smells from scratch 'n sniff stickers. 

tmi but when hubs or my dd even is in the bathrom and they need toilet paper I cannot stand going in there lol he walks in like it all fine and danddy. we were out of tow the other day and had to stop at a corner store and omg i was about to barf!!! he dident seem botherd in th eleast

Signs Of Visual  Dysfunction

Hyposensitive: 

Difficulty controlling eye movements and tracking objects, mixes up similar letters, focuses on little details in a picture and misses the whole, looses his place frequently when reading or copying from the blackboard.

he cant stay focused on anything for long eye wise. if you tell him to look at you he'll glance over and thats it.

Signs Of Tactile Dysfunction: 

Hyposensitive: 

Doesn't realize hands or face are dirty, touches everything and anything constantly, may be self-abusive, plays rough with peers, doesn't seem to feel pain (may even enjoy it!) 

him and daddy play fight and dh is always amzed that no matter what he keeps going and laughing...he dosent like beat him up lol but he did punch him harder then intended and he just laughed O_O

Signs Of Vestibular Dysfunction

Hyposensitive: 

Craves any possible movement experience, especially fast or spinning, never seems to sit still, is a thrill seeker, shakes leg while sitting, loves being tossed in the air, never seems to get dizzy, full of excessive energy. 

all of the above

Signs Of Proprioceptive Dysfunction:

Difficulty Regulating Input: 

Doesn't know how hard to push on an object, misjudges the weight of an object, breaks objects often and rips paper when erasing pencil marks.

Over-responsive: 

Difficulty understanding where body is in relation to other objects, appears clumsy, bumps into things often, moves in a stiff and/or uncoordinated way. 

again all of the above

Quoting Steph_G.:

I've never had that happen, and I would definately talk to your OT. I'm not an OT or anything, but I wonder if a weighted blanket would help him feel more grounded and connected to the world so that when he woke up it wouldn't be such an adjustment.

willysmama
by Valerie on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:59 PM

sorry my son doesn't do that. But i have had a friend whose son did that. He had some sort of sensory thing. Good luck

Steph_G.
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

You might want to read The Out-of-Sync Child, it gives a lot of information on this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)