Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Consider special needs

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 247 Total Views
Hi. My b/g twins are diagnosed with a global developmental delays with hypotonia. I don't consider them special needs children, but my speech therapist told me about an event for kids with special needs and their families and said it would b a fun time. I am wondering would it b appropriate to go to the event as is gdd considered a special need or not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Maikopmom
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

When my son was age 12 months to about 5 years old he was considered having global developmental delays, and until about the age of 4... I considered him special needs.  He was on an IEP until the beginning of 7th grade, but then tested out of the special education program.  If you want to go to the event, I'm sure you would be more than welcome.  There are many degrees and levels of special needs.  I think the choice is yours.  Good luck with your decision.

Steph_G.
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure you would be find to go to the event. Having a developmental delay means that they are special needs, even if it isn't severe. They obviously need a speech therapist and I'm guessing if they are hypotonic they probably have a physical therapist as well. I doubt anyone will think it inappropriate for you to be at the event.

willysmama
by Valerie on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

They are classified as special needs. But it is ultimately up to you if you want to go. You may meet some one that is in the same "boat" as you are and become friends.

peasntatersmom
by Leslie on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM
Please keep us updated! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gerifeld
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I decided to go and the kids had a lot of fun. The activities were developmentally appropriate for where the twins are and so they could participate.

This. Morning the preschool we enrolled them in wants to talk to us about the necessary accommodations needed for the fall. I am worried they will say our kids aren't ready even though their therapists think they are. They prob will qualify for the preschool in our district, but that wouldn't b until their b-day in November.
Steph_G.
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 6:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad you decided to go and that you had a good time.

Good luck with the preschool

Quoting gerifeld:

I decided to go and the kids had a lot of fun. The activities were developmentally appropriate for where the twins are and so they could participate.

This. Morning the preschool we enrolled them in wants to talk to us about the necessary accommodations needed for the fall. I am worried they will say our kids aren't ready even though their therapists think they are. They prob will qualify for the preschool in our district, but that wouldn't b until their b-day in November.

sayres
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Quoting gerifeld:

My son also has a November birthday and I did the same thing. I enrolled him in "typical preschool and then transferred him to the district pre-k program after his birthday.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)