Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preschool evaluation

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:07 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 177 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Rebecca was evaluated for developmental preschool since she will be aging out of EI.We got the initial report of their evaluation. It doesn't say how many days she qualifies for (kids can get recommended for anywhere from 1 to 5 days a week), or what supportive services (OT, PT, speech) but it does say that she is being recommended to the developmental preschool. Everyone (doctor's/therapists) said she would get in, but it still feels a little better knowing it's official and not having to worry about something crazy happening. 

Evalutaions are always a little hard to read. I know logically it doesn't change anything. I mean yesterday I could have told you that my 35 month old had horrible fine motor skills, and there are things her 1 yo cousin can do that she can't, but somehow it still hurts when you see a report that says your daughters fine motor skills are that of a 6-9month old. It really makes you wonder if we have gained any ground with the 2 years of OT we've been going through, but hopefully preschool will work out for her and we will start to see some improvement. I'm excited. Now we just have to wait a couple more weeks so we can actually make her first IEP.

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
willysmama
by Valerie on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:59 AM

That is wonderful! I know what you mean my son will be 8 yrs old in roughly 2 months. His sitting is at 9 months. He is all over the eval charts for development. but its still hard to take

lmjess
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

My son is also 35 months old and is transitioning to special education preschool. We have our testing next week. But, we toured 2 different preschool settings today and tomorrow we will tour 2 more.

I prefer today's settings because of the extremely small teacher-student ratio. But, I don't really get a lot of say. My son needs PT, OT, Speech, and behavioral therapy. And, if eatting at school, feeding support.

ambernicole531
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:16 PM

awww...My little Bill has blossomed since beginning preschool. At the beginning, just last year he was around the same stage as your daughter with his fine motor skills, he has some significant trouble with his gross motor skills as well, and his speech, or lack there of, consisted of about 30 words. Since a year of private pt ot and all of his therapy at school he is now pedaling a bicycle, speaking in simple phrases consistantly to address his needs and there is a noticeable difference in his fine motor skills. At the age of five he still struggles with his writing, but within this time we also recieved a diagnosis and that has helped us and the schools to know what to focus on!!!! Its a very rare nuero muscular problem caused by a deletion on his 13th chromosone. But we are heading in the right direction and he is blossoming, at his own rate! but moving forward is amazing!!!!  Best of luck and glas she got in. I hope she enjoys it!!!! 

peasntatersmom
by Leslie on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Aww (((HUGS)))

I know what you mean.  I have been receiving those reports for several years now and I still have to brace myself each time.  It does hurt, and even though they're not telling you something you don't already know, somehow having it stare you in the face on paper makes it heartbreakingly official.  I hope Rebecca's reports show improvement with each evaluation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)