Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It does get better! [our story]

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 117 Total Views

Hello ladies! I just joined this group today, I wasn't aware CM had one. But I feel I should give any of you struggling some encouragement.

At my daughter's 3 year old check up it had become very obvious she was behind. She wasn't speaking, she had no "safety awareness" (as they called it), she was really awkward in social settings. She panicked and cried a lot. Her doctor sent us for testing at a local medical school for children. Words like "autism" and"developmental delay"were thrown around, amoung others and by the time we left I was terrified. My daughter failed both the occupational and speech tests miserably, and I was told within the next year as the psychical test got harder, she would probably not pass it either.

So here I am with my 3 year old who is my whole world, and I feel like I did something wrong. We had given her bad genes, I didn't encourage her enough. So she started school at this medicial school for children with developmental delays where she recieved daily speech and occupational therapy. Within SIX MONTHS my baby girl was talking, and keeping up with the other kids. She started trying other foods. She didn't cry near as much. Within a year to a year and a half, she was released from the program because she no longer needed their help.

That same little girl who didn't talk, that couldn't make eye contact with you, that wouldn't eat, that cried everytime she left anywhere is in pre-k now. A regular school with all the other kids. She is not only keeping up but excelling! So keep your heads up Mommas, it does get better and there is hope.

by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
willysmama
by Valerie on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

that is awesome!

sweetboys4me
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks for the hope. my son's report from his evaluation just came in and there are autism traits that cause concern.  his symptoms are very similar.  I tried telling dh not to worry but reading the 18 pages sent, I am very scared.  I hope he gets the treatment he needs to blossom as your young one has.  Thats what I keep telling dh. it's like their is a couple of wires loose and we need to get them rewired.  i hope I will have just as exciting of a story to share in a couple of years

peasntatersmom
by Leslie on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Welcome to the group!

Your daughter's story is very encouraging - thank you for taking the time to share with us!

She is Absolutely Beautiful btw!  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)