Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

food sensitivities/ allergies

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 129 Total Views

just wondering if anyone has had their dev delayed child tested for food allergies.  If so, did you notice an improvement?

Two separate special education teachers have suggested eliminating gluten.  They say that they have seen speech delayed children's speech improve drastically in as little as one week.

I started dabbling with GF, but put it aside for now.  We have a doctors appt next week and I want to try and get him tested.  My son is a carb lover.  Pasta, bagels, crackers.  He will sometimes eat raw veggies.  Eats his weight in fruit.  Will not touch any meats (used to eat salmon and tofu-not anymore, and sometimes we can get him to eat chickpeas)

I've also been toying with the idea of an elimination diet and reintroduction of most common allergens to see if he changes any. He is only 3.5 so I wonder if he is too young to try this.  Plus I'm afraid his stubborness would starve him. 

If any of you have any information or experience with allergens or the elimination diet, please share with me.

Thanks,

Heather

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jaydensmom1726
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:04 AM

make sure when you get the allergy testing done that they also check for sensitivty  not just a compleate allergy.

my son is sensitive to dair,soy and raw nuts but according to the tests he is not allergic to them 

created4apurpos
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:33 AM

DD only has nut allergies.  haven't tried gluten free.  here is a website that does a list of free kindle books daily, there is ALWAYS a gluten free cookbook on there and sometimes a dairy free.  you don't need a kindle to read the book, there are free kindle apps for computers or tablets or smartphones:  http://fiberarts.ca/blog/

I'd get testing done though to be sure the allergy is there before restricting him to that kind of diet.  you want to be sure he's getting the nutrition he needs.

sweetboys4me
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Thanks for the tip.  I would not have asked for sensitivities as well without this information. I would have figured that sensitivities would show up as an allergic reaction. 

Another quick question, when you got the allergy testing done, what was the process.  Is it as simple as a lab ordered blood test?  Or is it more involved?  Did your insurance cover it?  I've heard of allergy testing running north of $500.  I haven't looked into my insurance yet, but I plan to tomorrow.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

make sure when you get the allergy testing done that they also check for sensitivty  not just a compleate allergy.

my son is sensitive to dair,soy and raw nuts but according to the tests he is not allergic to them 

sweetboys4me
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I plan on speaking with his pediatrician on Tuesday when my eldest has a well check up.  I am sure that the doctor can give me resources (or tell me I'm off my rocker).  I have read up a good deal on gluten free cooking, and it was quite intimidating.  I have not implemented the diet yet, and it seems quite illogical to spend so much money on a "possibility". I have however made some things that were GF and am suprised at how good they tasted.  Especially black bean brownies.  They are wonderful and full of protein.  I will never make traditional brownies again!

Thanks for the info on the kindle. I am going to go check that out immediately.

Quoting created4apurpos:

DD only has nut allergies.  haven't tried gluten free.  here is a website that does a list of free kindle books daily, there is ALWAYS a gluten free cookbook on there and sometimes a dairy free.  you don't need a kindle to read the book, there are free kindle apps for computers or tablets or smartphones:  http://fiberarts.ca/blog/

I'd get testing done though to be sure the allergy is there before restricting him to that kind of diet.  you want to be sure he's getting the nutrition he needs.

jaydensmom1726
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM

my son has medicaid so i dont know how much it cost. but it was a simple blood test. we had it done when we had his tonsils out.

also there is a book at barnes&noble that is called the adhd & autism cook book. but it is sooo much more than just a cook book. all of the recipes tell you if it has corn,dairy,eggs,wheat,or soy in it

also it explains the diffrence between being allergic to somthing and being sensitive to it.

you can get it on amazon used for 10.50 that includes shipping.

feel free to pm me if you want

Quoting sweetboys4me:

Thanks for the tip.  I would not have asked for sensitivities as well without this information. I would have figured that sensitivities would show up as an allergic reaction. 

Another quick question, when you got the allergy testing done, what was the process.  Is it as simple as a lab ordered blood test?  Or is it more involved?  Did your insurance cover it?  I've heard of allergy testing running north of $500.  I haven't looked into my insurance yet, but I plan to tomorrow.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

willysmama
by Valerie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

my son has some food allergies. We found them by him eating them and have eliminated them from our meals.

sweetboys4me
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Thank you for replying.  What allergies did you find, and how hard was it to eliminate them?

Quoting willysmama:

my son has some food allergies. We found them by him eating them and have eliminated them from our meals.

willysmama
by Valerie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Quoting sweetboys4me:

Thank you for replying.  What allergies did you find, and how hard was it to eliminate them?

Quoting willysmama:

He is allergic to peas and prepackaged cinnamon apples(like apple pie fillings, frozen apple pies, fruit pies from hotess, cinnamon applesauce, etc). His mouth area would break out in hives and his tongue would swell. We noticed a few times after feeding him the peas and cinnamon apples he would have a little redness but everytime we feed him those 2 items it would get worse and stay longer. Peas were not that hard to eliminate from the meals but does make it difficult to get easy/fast making meals out of the frozen section. The prepackaged cinnamon apples are a little more difficult cause he loves his cinnamon apples. So a lot of his cinnamon apple prodcucts that he loves we have to make it from scratch. So its a little more expensive to get the apples and all the fixings and time consuming.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)