Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone hired someone to come and work with their kids?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 11:10 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 164 Total Views

Hi,

My daughter Meredith is 3 and has global developmental delay.  She is moving at about half her age.  Sat up at 1 year, crawled at 18 months, walked at 2/12 no speech at all yet.  In the first couple of years she had a physiotherapist come once a week and some other more intensive treatment.  This has all backed off now and there suggestion was to put her in a day care a couple mornings a week for stimulation etc which I have been doing.  They also see her about every 3 months to reassess her make suggestions etc.  They are always overbooked and backed up so it takes months to get stuff done.  I live in Canada so its covered by the government but it takes forever to get one small thing done.

I am considering taking her out and hiring someone to work with her 2-4 hours one on one each week.  I just feel I would get more bang for my buck if you know what I mean.  Has anyone does this and how do you go about finding someone, what can it cost etc.  ijust feel its time for some better early intervetion that I don't have to wait months to get.

by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mamatware
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 1:40 PM
Being in Canada, things are different there, and I'm not sure how it works.  Is their an early child hood special education program?  It would be through the schools and not the medical system.  Like I said I have no idea how things work in Canada.
PamKR
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 7:30 PM
I am a speech therapist.. Wow, 2-4 hours that is a lot of time.  Children do shut down after a while and don't have the attention span for 1 hour much less 2-4. That is just my opinion as an ethical pediatric speech path.  Now be advised you will always be able to find someone to take your money.

Pam

I also wouldn't have back to back therapies...pt, ot, st. that exhausts a child. overload especially for a child with global DD
HECinNaptown
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 10:39 PM
Great advice, Ladies!  Keep it comin'!

Holly
Developmental Delays Group Owner
Special Education Group Owner
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)