Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our first IEP meeting

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:38 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 254 Total Views

Hello, Ladies!  :0)

We have a conference scheduled 4/14 for our first IEP meeting for Jerry.  How is an IEP different from the IPP he has been working with the past 2 years?  The paperwork says 'transition', although he is going to be staying at the Sunshine School.  That confuses me a bit.  I am more than a little nervous about the meeting.  My hubby and I, the school director, Jerry's teacher and the school SLP are all listed as attending.  I have been in touch with the special ed supervisor for our town's public school in reference to his k-assessment.  She has been very helpful so far.  She has told me she will be attending as well and will be involved in Jerry's education from this point on. The Sunshine School director told me 'she will be involved on paper only'.  I called her this morning to make sure that she is aware of the scheduled conference; she was not.  She said she will call the director and get back to me.  Oh I feel like I am rambling here...hope I am making sense.  Any advice for me with this...please??  I want to be sure to ask all the right questions.

Hope everyone is doing well!

HUGS

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mamatware
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Jerry has turned 5 and would start K next year right???  Right now, based on the terms you used he is currently receiving the school services through some type of state agency for people with developmental disabilities.  But since he will K age, the local school now has to pick up the bill, so really the "transition" that is taking place in your case is who is paying the bill!  It will come out of the local school district budget (which comes from the state anyway).  Things to be on the look out for are mostly therapy services cuts at this point, a lot of times once they start K for some reason the district thinks they don't need as much  therapy.  So that wouldn't suprise me.  Just make sure you read everything really carefully, and if you want to tell them you want to take a copy home and read over it and make sure you don't have any questions before signing it....then scan and post it here for me to look over or pm it to me or something like that I am more than willing to do that if you want me to...then you can sign it and send it back.  They may try to tell you that you have to sign it then, but you don't have to.  Let me know if I can help!

singlemomme2jj
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Joaquin switched from the IFSP (Individualized Family Service Plan) to IEP (Individualized Education Plan) when he started Pre-K in the public school district.  It will probably be very much like the other meeting.  Basically, you're generating goals that are developmentally appropriate for your kid.

I'm a teacher, too, so my big piece of advice is to start the discussion about remediation v. intervention early.  If you believe your kid can learn, everyone your kid works with also needs to believe your kid can learn.  What has happened at the school I teach at, is the kids with IEPs fail our state tests.  They're pulled out during whole group instruction, given instruction at a lower level, and before we know it, they're so far behind they have this learned helplessness that by third grade is so ingrained it's tough to break.  That's remediation. 

When Joaquin goes to Kindergarten, I'm going to make sure that his individualized goals are based on grade level expectations, he's receiving in class support (pull-outs only during times that the rest of the class is also working at their individualized need levels, because they are all individuals who learn differently), and they're focused on helping him learn in general.  That's intervention.

My recommendation is to become familiar with your state's general learning expectations.  You can find these on the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) website, or ask at the school for them.  At each grade level, know what your kid needs to know and support that learning both yourself and with the help of the team of people at your kid's school.

Hee, hee... now it's my turn... did that make sense?

:) Tammy

btw... I'm not speaking poorly of my school's special education department.  They do an amazing job.  Their caseload is ridiculous and they help kids learn, they're amazing with their knowledge of behavior management, and they're always there for the classroom teacher.  There's just this shift in education right now and I recently visited a school that has made this shift in paradigm, and it's working for them.  Our people are awesome, too, though.  It's one of those, when you know better  you do better things.

peasntatersmom
by Leslie on Apr. 9, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Well, I spoke to Jerry's teacher about this yesterday when I picked him up.  She says the only difference between and IEP and and IPP is a different document.  She did say that the state of Arkansas (where we are) has a "no child left behind" act which makes it difficult for special ed teachers to teach special needs children.  She says when a child turns 5 and is kindergarten age, his goals/objectives will then have to reflect kindergarten skills, and she will be responsible to teach him kindergarten skills regardless of his cognitive age.  While I like the idea of "no child left behind", I am not so sure that Jerry will be able to benefit from a kindergarten curriculum, and she said neither was she.  I mean, let's face it, he's really not ready for kindergarten.  She said she has ways around this, in the wording of his objectives.  *sigh*  I just don't know.  I am confused right now.  I want to push him to his full potential, I don't want him to fall behind, but I also know that I have to be realistic.  The public school special education supervisor I was talking about before cannot make the scheduled meeting, so it has been re-scheduled for 4/22.  The school director told me this morning that it will not be the IEP meeting, but rather a transition, evaluation and review meeting.  She said there will be another meeting for the IEP following this one. 

Thanks to both of you for your replies.  I'm sure I will be needing your help lol!  :0)

mamatware
by on Apr. 12, 2009 at 10:42 AM

NCLB is a load of doo when it comes to our kids!!!!!  My response it NCLB is IDEA!!!!!  No one talks about that anymore!!!!!  It's like NCLB took that away and it DID NOT!!!!  Our kids are entitled to a free and APPROPRIATE education......Grade level stuff may not be appropriate for our kids!!!!!!  That is what you get when a bunch of people with business/legal/political science backgrounds decide to make laws about something they know NOTHING about!!!!!!  I have no problem with NCLB for the general population BUT it needs to amended to exclude students with IEP's.  Because if a child has an IEP it's for a reason...it's because they have disabilty that prevents them from being able to do grade level stuff in some cases!!!!!!  I don't even have a problem with a NCLB applies box on and IEP for kids with LD.....but come one really!!!!!!!  Let's get all the guys in DC come down and try to teach a 9th grader that isn't potty trained, can't talk, and won't sit still for 30 seconds algebra!!!!!!  Or make them give the child with mental retardation the MAP test!!!!!!!!!  OOOHHHHH better yet.....a teen with EBD the MAP test!!!!!  They can get their butts kicked doing that one!!!!!!!!  I see the headlines now "6 senators are hospitalized with serious injuries after attempting to adminster state standardized tests to a class of EBD students."

peasntatersmom
by Leslie on Apr. 12, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Lol Jennifer.  It seems that you don't agree with this anymore than I do.  Is this "no child left behind act" in other states as well?  I should do a bit of research...

HUGS

PS.  I LOVE your siggy!  :0)

mamatware
by on Apr. 12, 2009 at 1:35 PM

NCLB and IDEA are BOTH federal legislation....I want someone to get the $$$$$$$$$ together to challenge that NCLB is in violation of IDEA in court!!!!!!  Because guess what?????  It is!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)