Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need advice on my sons mobility issue?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:20 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 176 Total Views

My son just turned 4, and is too big for all his strollers.  I went to babiesRus, and hes too tall for all the ones on the market. 

While he can walk, he cannot walk distances, and we are looking for a chair or special stroller that he can use.  Basically, he does not walk well, his PT said hes around 14 months instead of 4 years.  So if anyone here has a suggestion on equipment I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!

I should add that it needs to be something that I control, because his fine motor is around 8 months, and he would not understand anything.  Thanks again mama's!

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mom18103
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 10:41 AM

http://www.especialneeds.com/special-needs-strollers-ormesa-novus-stroller.html

this is a website for special needs strollers, i hope it helps! my son is also 4 & he has down syndrome. he is up & walking but we like you look for a stroller that will accomadate him because he gets tired after awhile of walking.

mamatware
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 11:00 AM

We bought the Joovy Groove Stroller for Robby before he was diagnosed with anything (he didn't get a diagnosis until he was 3 1/4 years old) and insurance wouldn't cover anything because they said he didn't need it because he didn't have a diagnosis.  Anyway....Robby is 4 1/2 years old now, and we still use this, and it has plenty room for him still.  I don't focus too much on height limits on strollers, I focus more on weight.  Depending on where the kid's height is at, meaning the does kid have long legs, things like that.  Because a shorter child with long legs will out grow a stroller faster than a tall child with short legs.  If that makes sense.  So personally I would quit looking at the height stuff and focus on weight.  The Joovy Groove has a 55 lb weight capacity-Robby still has 10 lbs until he weighs too much for this.  The thing I really LOVE about this stroller is that they plan for "oops" meaning they know a kid is going to spill juice in it, or have an exploding diaper, things like that.  You can take the padding off and wash it in your machine at home and dry it.  Guess what???  It comes with a backup set for when you are washing the main set.  It comes in blue, green, or pink, and regardless of what color you get the extra pads are black.  I paid $180ish for it on amazon.

Prdmomof2boys85
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Thank you both so much for your great suggestions... =)  I will look into both of them... Thanks again!

peasntatersmom
by Leslie on Jun. 10, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Hi!  :0)

I wish I had known about these strollers a couple years ago lol!  When I asked Jerry's PT about it she put me in touch with the clinic's special equipment guy who said that he would outgrow any stroller we could buy and we would do best to get him a pediatric wheelchair to use for stroller purposes.  It worked out really well for us and has a handle so that I could push him around in it.  Your son sounds alot like where he was then. 

Jerry doesn't use it anymore and we still have it.  Please feel free to contact me if you think you might be interested. 

Good Luck and *HUGS*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)