Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello everyone, new to group here!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:36 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 171 Total Views

Hello everyone, I am new to this group. My name is Diana and I have a 22 month old son named Jayson. He was born 6 weeks premature (4lbs 12oz) and has a severe speech delay. We have recently begun working with Early Intervention for speech therapy and to also pinpoint some other delays he may have. We are actually going to meet with a psycologist on Thursday for his CARS (Childhood Autism Rating Scale).

Beyond his delays Jayson is an energetic little guy who loves cars and animals. He has a great sense of humor and never fails to bring a smile to my face. He has been classified as speech delayed since he was about 12 months old, but it took us months to meet with a neurologist (EEG at 16 months was normal) and even longer to get Early Intervention involved. The developmental evaluator with EI has told us that she suspects he has other delays besides the speech and shows sign of possible Autism.

We are very new to this and I'm not sure what to expect. We don't know anyone else who has a child with delays, so I joined this group in hopes of meeting other moms of children with developmental delays.

Thanks for reading this!

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
peasntatersmom
by Leslie on Jul. 30, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Hello, Diana!  :)

***WELCOME*** to the CafeMom Developmental Delays group!  We are so happy that you have found and joined us here!

With the exception of a few of us here, we all were new at this at one time, and have all felt lost and overwhelmed.  It is a learning experience, and never easy, but please know that you are not alone.  You have found a wonderful group of ladies here who can really relate to you and your son, and have much advice and support to offer.  Please stop by often and share pics, stories, ask questions or just vent when you feel the need.  We are here for you!

*HUGS* 

kimsardo
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 2:59 AM

Welcome. I have a little guy with Down syndrome ;) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)