Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Poll: Panic/Anxiety Among Us

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:50 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 233 Total Views

Poll

Question: Do you have anxiety/panic attacks?

Options:

yes, often

yes, occasionally

no, never

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 13

View Results

While chatting with my friend (willysmama) yesterday, I got to thinking about anxiety/panic attacks and how common they are among those of us who have special needs children.  

So how about you?  Thanks to all for your participation. 

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
FeliciaDG
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:22 AM

I actually went to a psychiatrist for help with dealing with my anxiety and panic. Last visit I expressed that I have anxiety about not being good enough a mom for my son and worry that I could fail him (a common concern for all mothers I think and triple that for special moms) and she called my husband at home and said I shouldn't be alone with my son and then told me she might need to call child protective services on me! I will NEVER talk about my feelings with anyone like that again! Obviously I have a revolving door of therapists and other professionals that can vouch for the fact that I am a good mother and that my child is more than well taken care of...but even the suggested threat of that is too much to bare! I can't imagine my innocent son who cannot communicate his needs at all and requires one on one care 24/7 being in the care of strangers for even a few hours! I've had a huge increase in panic and anxiety and now nightmares too! Just be careful who you express your concerns to because a medical degree does not qualify someone to understand our lives and feelings at all.

peasntatersmom
by Leslie on Aug. 26, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Quoting FeliciaDG:

I actually went to a psychiatrist for help with dealing with my anxiety and panic. Last visit I expressed that I have anxiety about not being good enough a mom for my son and worry that I could fail him (a common concern for all mothers I think and triple that for special moms) and she called my husband at home and said I shouldn't be alone with my son and then told me she might need to call child protective services on me! I will NEVER talk about my feelings with anyone like that again! Obviously I have a revolving door of therapists and other professionals that can vouch for the fact that I am a good mother and that my child is more than well taken care of...but even the suggested threat of that is too much to bare! I can't imagine my innocent son who cannot communicate his needs at all and requires one on one care 24/7 being in the care of strangers for even a few hours! I've had a huge increase in panic and anxiety and now nightmares too! Just be careful who you express your concerns to because a medical degree does not qualify someone to understand our lives and feelings at all.

Thanks for sharing your story.  :)  I know it was probably not an easy thing to do.  *HUGS*

I am sorry that your attempt to get help with this turned into such a nightmare.  I agree with you, and that is just one reason why I choose to deal with things on my own. 

Willysmama:  what tea was it that you were talking about that helps with panic/anxiety??

willysmama
by Valerie on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:08 PM

chamomile tea. It has been really helping with my anxiety. It is suppose to calm ya.

airbornewife06
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:36 PM

To deal with my anxiety I have to take colophons cause of my son having so many operations since birth and my hubby being deployed to a war zone that's the only thing that helps get me througharmy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)