Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question please help not sure what to do.

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:45 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 204 Total Views

I have been baby sitting a friend of my sons. Both my son and this kid is 4. Before I started babysiting me and the boys mom had in agreement that she would pay me 60 a week. I am only watching him two days a week right now. I have been payed once but only got $20. Witch is ok with me. Her and her husband get payed every other friday witch is ok. But when I asked her for the money today witch she got payed yesterday she said that she could not give me any because some bills came up and her husband had to buy shoes for work. I have watch this boy a little over 4 times and have gotton no money. She says that she cant give me any until this coming friday. Witch at that point I would of watch him for a total of 6 times with no money. My question is what should I do? I don't think that she should give me 60 for just two days. I was thinking of asking her for 20 a day after she gives me the money is that to much to ask for and if I only watch him for more than 2 day I was thinking 10 a day. I am not sure what to do. I am afraid of not geting my money. I also dont want to make problems being that our sons are firends. I am not looking for a job because of what I was told that I would be payed but I may have to if I dont get payed. What should I do?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JGLeagones
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Stop watching the kid

Either she pays you, or you stop.

How`s my pregnancy doing?

Blinkie Text Generator at TextSpace.net
mylittleman21
by New Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:51 PM

How long should I give her to pay if she doesnt pay me by this friday and if she doesnt should I let it go?

aupairhelper
by Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I believe you need a "script" to assist you in this predicament.  so:  Sit down with this "friend" and say, looking her right in the eye, with a sympathetic but knowing look in your eye: "Well, ______(her name ____, this situation is really not working out for both of us.  I believe you are feeling pressure to pay me money that's not there.  I'm feeling anxious about asking you every time.  So for the sake of our children's friendship, let's go back to our prior relationship.  I take care of my child and you take care of yours."  If she argues that she needs your help, point out to her that you were doing it for the money as well as wanting to assist her.  She may be the one helped, but you're not being helped (not being paid) so it's really not working out for you. If she says she will pay, say you can't continue until her back pay is in your hand.  She should retreat at this point.  Hope this helps.  Aupairhelper

mylittleman21
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Quoting aupairhelper:

I believe you need a "script" to assist you in this predicament.  so:  Sit down with this "friend" and say, looking her right in the eye, with a sympathetic but knowing look in your eye: "Well, ______(her name ____, this situation is really not working out for both of us.  I believe you are feeling pressure to pay me money that's not there.  I'm feeling anxious about asking you every time.  So for the sake of our children's friendship, let's go back to our prior relationship.  I take care of my child and you take care of yours."  If she argues that she needs your help, point out to her that you were doing it for the money as well as wanting to assist her.  She may be the one helped, but you're not being helped (not being paid) so it's really not working out for you. If she says she will pay, say you can't continue until her back pay is in your hand.  She should retreat at this point.  Hope this helps.  Aupairhelper

I know that they have the money. Her son use to get ssi but they make to much to get it any more. But thanks for the suggestion I may use that one

aupairhelper
by Member on Sep. 1, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Well, drop the part that states "that's not there".  She's not paying you the money so she is not prioritizing with you at the top.  So the money is an issue in her mind.  See if the script works for you without the above quote.  If you feel uncomfortable, then you have to figure out "why" you can't confront her, what's holding you back--REALLY?  Good luck, aupairhelper

LCCTracie
by Member on Sep. 2, 2009 at 9:40 AM

As a child care provider for ten years I always get paid on Monday BEFORE providing the care for the week.  You should work something out in writing with your friend so that there is no questions about when you should be paid and how much, whether you get paid if they don't come, sick days, your days off, etc.  If you allow them to walk on you from the start they will continue and you will not get paid.  If they were to go somewhere and pay a licensed provider chances are they would be paying $25-$35 a day for part time care at the very least.  You shouln't charge less than $20/day especially if you are providing the food.  It is difficult working out details with friends/family and I don't recommend taking care of friends/family kids unless it is an intermittent babysitting job to help them out on occasion.  But if you really want to continue to care for their child a contract is a good idea!

I bring the world to your door as a Local Childcare Coordinator for Cultural Care Au Pair.  If you are looking for childcare for your children, hosting an Au pair is an affordable option, and a great cultural experience for your family!  Contact me for more information at tracie.kapaun@lcc.culturalcare.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)