Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shareing my bed!

Posted by on May. 11, 2007 at 9:06 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 176 Total Views

My son goes to bed in his own bed just fine...but more often then not he wakes up in the night and comes to my bed. Now don't get me wrong I don't mind most nights...but sometimes he is just "pushy" in bed. when he first comes into the bed he fights me to sleep on the edge, I won't let him because I am afraid he will fall out and hit his head, and because between him and my hubby they put out a lot of heat, I can't sleep well when I am hot so being in the middle of them means no sleep for mommy. Then He insists on using my pillow....that I am on! So I get pushed very close to the edge of the bed and in sleep I must move for him because a lot of times I am not even ON the pillow when I wake up! That is hard on my neck and back, I was in an accident so I have those issues....this pillow war doesn't help.
If that all isn't bad enough I am a natural light sleeper made worse by being mommy. Every little movement wakes me up when it comes to my son, he also talks in his sleep sometimes so that wakes me up to thinking he is up! AH!
When morning comes around I am still tired, but I have to watch my son...I do lay in bed but it never lasts more then 5 minutes before my son is ready for me to get up....that means he jumps on me, rolls on me does everything he can to wake me up..even after I am awake! LOL  That wouldn't be so bad if it didn't HURT when he did it!
Anyway I am just ready for a full nights sleep...the ones that I was supposed to get when my son started sleeping through the night! But NO I get the sleeper who moves,snores,talks and gets out of bed!
Any time that my MIL watches him over night I sleep like a rock until late morning...I am talking I don't remember even falling asleep... and I NEVER wake up during the night! So I hate to "blame" it on my boy, but it is obvious why I am not sleeping well!
Does anyone have any advice? I really need some good sleep at night to keep going all day with my energenic son...plus this fall we will be getting up early for preschool, it is a half hour drive (I plan to "work" there as well, my MIL helped get him in and me a job in case you were wondering) so I really want to be alert while driving that far, especially on the highway!.

by on May. 11, 2007 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jhalsey
by New Member on May. 11, 2007 at 12:46 PM
I don't have any solutions for you but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one out there not sleeping because of my kid! My son won't even start out in his own bed. Every night I tell him to get in his bed and he climbs right up into mine and my husband's bed. He has even named his spot in the bed and if either of us are in it, he'll do his best to move us. He too is a wild sleeper so I feel sleep deprived a majority of the time. If you find a solution, please share it with me! I'll do the same! lol
Rachel761980
by on May. 15, 2007 at 5:45 PM
i had this problem when my 1st husband and I split!  I tried everything and nothing worked!  Finally I sat down with him and explained that we were going to buy him new sheets( what ever he wanted), but he couldn't have the new sheets unless he slept in his own bed.  He was extremely excited and agreed.  He did test me the night that I bought the new bed set and I took it away.  Ever since then he won't even look at my bed!  Maybe this will help you?  Good luck.
kingsspears
by on May. 25, 2007 at 7:57 AM
Alright....this sounds cruel and heartless but I did it with my daughter when she was 3.  She would go to sleep in her own bed but almost every night she was in our bed by midnight.    My husband about went ballistic but it works.  I know this because my mother got the same advice from MY pediatrician when I was little because apparantly I liked my mom's bed too. 
I would tell Savanna she could not sleep in our bed, there just wasn't enough room.  If she didn't want to sleep in her bed she was welcome to bring her blanket and pillow in my room and sleep on my floor next to my bed.  (my floor was carpeted and our bedroom was right above the room with the wood stove in it so the floor wasn't cold)  My husband would tell me "You can't make her sleep on the floor!!"  So I told him I was not MAKING her sleep on the floor.  She has a perfectly good bed in her bedroom she is more than welcome to sleep in"
I know it sounds tough, and I think you have to make a lot of judgement calls.  She is 9 now and there are still some nights she's had a really bad dream, and she will come get in bed with us but it happens less and less frequently.  There were some nights I would explain to her that she had to sleep in her own bed and I would walk her back to her bed and tuck her in.  But you can't be doing that every night.  I think as a mom you usually have a pretty good idea if they really need you at that particular moment or just want you.
Good luck.
Beth
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN