Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Son The Tenderheart

Posted by on May. 27, 2007 at 1:17 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 201 Total Views

So how do you say NO to a five-year-old boy with tears in his eyes who is holding the most pathetic specimen of the feline persuasion since the LAST most pathetic specimen of the feline persuasion he brought home?  Right now, we have five cats in various stages of convalescence lounging around the joint.  I don't know if he finds them or if they find him! 

Victim #1--Male orange tabby kitten, severe lacerations to head and neck. Cost of treatment, antibiotics, shots and gender-reassignment to neutral--$376.78

Victim #2--Female orange tabby, middle-aged, violent tail amputation.  Cost of surgery on the tail and shots (she was already fixed, thank goodness) $138.25

Victim #3--Male "tuxedo" kitten, barely weaned, found next to body of mother cat in the road.  Cost of shots, gender-reassignment to neutral $118.78  Truly a Pixar moment.

Victim #4--Male gray striped kitten, about six months old, discovered with two dislocated hips  and lacerations to the legs and feet.  Cost of x-rays, treatment, antibiotics, gender reassignment to neutral--$247.47

Victim #5--Male black cat, maybe a year old, obvious snakebite to front right leg.  Cost to amputate, antibiotics, inpatient treatment, shots and gender reassignment to neutral,  $0.00 because the vet's office staff all chipped in because my son was absolutely distraught when I was quietly trying to tell him that this was going to be expensive and I didn't know if we could afford it and he cried (quietly) and asked the vet (pretty calmly actually)if there was any way he could "work it off".  The vet pulled me aside and said "Don't worry about the bill on this one, okay?"

Every one of these cats adores my son.  They all want to sleep in his room, as close to him as possible.  I hope he doesn't find any more though--the cat-related chores (wound irrigation, pill-giving, litterbox antics) are really taking their toll around here!

by on May. 27, 2007 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mommy5704
by Group Owner on May. 27, 2007 at 8:46 PM
OMG! that is alot of cats! LOL i would go  nuts! I think that if anything you should look into a local shelter and see if you can give these cats your osn brings home a new home....at least you can tell him at that point that you have to many kitties and someone else may need a kitty that doesn't have one...I would say do an ad in the paper but chances are that people are not going to pick like they wuld at a shelter....and your son wuldn't have time to get attached.  I don't know what else to tell you besides that! Good luck with this one!
Rockenmooki
by on May. 28, 2007 at 11:59 PM
Your son is a child after my own heart.  I do the same thing!  I bring home anything that needs me, break the bank account with vet bills, and nurse them back to health.  He has a wonderful heart!  Karma will be good to him.  With that being said, I totally understand what it is like to have too many furry babies running the house.  I try to re-home the ones that I can, but there are some that just won't work out anywhere else.  There was a ferrel siamese mixed, PREGNANT cat in my work parking lot.  I was so afraid for her and her soon to be kittens, so I trapped her.  Took her to the vet and she literally climbed the walls, they had to bring out the gloves and the net.  I locked her in a bathroom complete with a little house to have her babies and food and water.  She had kittens that terrorized the house (all re-homed) but once she got fixed, she followed me everywhere.  She won't have anything to do with anyone else and refuses to ever go outside again.  I think she is truly grateful for what we've done for her.  If you want (or if your ds will let you)  post some on Petfinder.com, put their stories up there and you can screen the home that they go to.  Let your son be a part in picking  the new owner, and make room for his next heartbreaking addition.   (sorry my reply was so long lol)
Fistandantalus
by on May. 29, 2007 at 9:35 AM
Victim #6--Male black-and-white kitten who was DUMPED in our yard! This might explain how come we have found so many cats recently. We actually SAW this kitten being dumped in our yard. He was apparently healthy, but thin and hungry so we took him inside and fed him, after which he had some serious tummy "issues" so I had to put him back outside (in spite of the wails of protest from Son). I've kept food available and we've seen him about. If I can, I'll have him seen by a vet because it is irresponsible to leave an unfixed cat running around. My husband saw the dumper, and if he sees her again he is going to confront her. Why do people do things like that?
Fistandantalus
by on May. 31, 2007 at 9:46 AM
Well, we managed to find Victim #6 a new home!  The family across the street decided to adopt him.  "Curious George" now has a family to take care of him.  My son is thrilled.
wantcoffee
by on May. 31, 2007 at 8:31 PM
Wow, you're living with the Cat Whisperer.  That's so cute!  I'm sorry for your bank account, but that's a pretty special kid.  Does he talk about wanting to be a vet when he grows up, because I think he'd be great.  That's an amazing vet you have, by the way.  I think it was wonderful what they did.  And congratulations to you for being so great to take these little guys in and take care of them.  I'm in awe of you and your little man!  That's a beautiful story.

Fistandantalus
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 8:24 AM
Cat #6--This time my MIL just GAVE my son the kitten!  I really could not say no to him this time--he'd just spent five hours on a golf cart giving two other kittens away.  Besides, it's my MIL!   "Spidercat" is a very sweet, VERY small kitten WHO IS BITING MY ANKLE AS I TYPE THIS.....ow!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)