Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

H1N1 Vaccine-

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:38 PM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter is eleven and in middle school. They are offering the vaccines at her school . I am just curious what everyone thinks about the vaccine? Pros, cons....My daughter has never missed a day of school with any type of cold or flu. She is generally very healthy. I am just confused as what to do....

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chocolatethundr
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 10:19 AM
I would consult my doctor. I would write down all my questions and get answers before I give the kids anything. If you are still unsure after all of this I would wait.
Snowflake2034
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 10:44 AM

since my 9 year old son has autism spectrum disorder and has never had a flu shot I think I'm going to skip it. There is just too much unknown at this point. I know if I did get him one it wouldn't be the nasal one. That one I heard could have more complications.

Jacylrin
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I have a friend whose 15 year old previously healthy niece died of H1N1. My husband has a friend whose 9 year old previously healthy nephew died of H1N1. We got our kids vaccinated as soon as our doctor's office had serum (a couple weeks ago), as did I (I have asthma, so I'm high risk). Since my husband isn't high risk, he hasn't been able to get vaccinated yet, but he will as soon as he can. Yes, most kids recover just fine. But a larger percentage than usual have complications. Plus, even if they do recover OK, it makes for a miserable week+. The risk of getting H1N1 and having complications, especially in kids, is much greater than risk of any complications from vaccination.

Singlemomks
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 2:19 PM

I have gone back and forth as well.  In the end, I have chosen to have my kids vaccinated.  They are healthy, but too many kids are dying from complications - without having underlying health problems.  For me, the risks of not getting the vaccination are too great.  In none of the research I have done on the vaccination - have I seen any side effects that are even close to what H1N1 causes.   

seddiemom
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 4:42 PM

I know my doctor is strongly recommernding it so my kids will get it ASAP.  Plus, my son has occassional breathing problems with a bad cold so he is particularly at risk were he to get that strain of the flu. 

Hope that is helpful info.

emilyrosenj
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 8:51 AM

I was completely against it but after talking to my pediatrician (actually two different ones) I decided to get it for my children.  My daughter got the mist and I have to schedule my son for his, he will get the mist also.  I think it's more important for my son because he will be travelling outside of the country around Christmas.

lneeson
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I work in an emergency department and the hospital is giving the shot to all employees family members, plus my kids school is giving it out on December 7th. I didn't even get it yet and am still thinking if I want my kids to have it. I'm lucky to have 2 kids who rarely get sick, even with a common cold (KNOCK ON WOOD). We've seen some patients here in the ER that have had some pretty severe side effects from getting the vaccine. Dizziness, numbness/ingling in their arms/hands, severe headache and also flu-like symptoms???

Ravjas
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:47 AM

My daugher hasn't missed a day of school at all last year and hasn't even been sick in the past year.  She got the flu mist for seasonal flu recently, but contracted H1N1 a week and a half ago.  We handn't had time to get the vaccine for it since we have to wait a month after flu mist to get it.  Anyway, it was like any other flu, but if you have ever had the flu, it's awful for the one going through it.  She won't need the vaccine now since she has a natural immunity now.  My husband and I DID get it about 3 weeks ago.  If our doctors get it for their children, it's good enough for me.

Julie

Administrator          

PinkLight
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 11:01 AM

I've decided not to get it for my ds. There is exactly one case of reported flu at his school and it could be any kind of flu. The vaccine worries me.

my5
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 11:11 AM

It was offered at school here too, but none of our kids got the shots. Hubby had a reaction to a flu shot & I got really sick after a flu shot, so...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)