Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

attitude and sassy mouth

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

how do you punish a 11yr old girl for her smart mouth. everything that comes out of her mouth lately has attitude with it--so much so i just want to smack her (only in my mind). today i just ignored her until we got to school. she doesn't have any high tech stuff to take away--i took the tv and radio from her, because of a shared home, she has lost her room and now shares with me. i let her guilt me for weeks, but truthfully this is life and deal with it. maybe that has something to do with her attitude, but how can i get respect from her?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gardenchic
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:02 PM

when i ground my daughter i take away the most important thing,,, her friends, ha ha, all she is aloud to have is her book, no computer, no tv, no phone, no friends over, no friends in.... this drives her batty, she sure smartens up in a hurry.

Snowflake2034
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:59 PM

~maybe go the other way with it and tell her what you expect from her and keep catching her doing it and reward her with praise when you "catch" her being good! Words like proud of you, and mature go a long way to compliment a tween! Good luck!!

dbescurry
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 8:30 AM

I have found that SO much of our kids life is out of their control and this causes the attitude.  I get one too when I have so much that I HAVE to do and WANT to do none of it.  Yes, this is life and we all have to adjust.  It is my job to teach my girl just how to do that.  I know we as moms try to let them make choices when we can, but maybe purposfully letting her choose a few things would help.  Maybe like the punishment....Just a thought.

Let us know what ypou find that works.

Thanks

alwaysunsure
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 1:04 PM

A sore subject for me. I hate this one. It seems like my daughter does it soooooooo much how can you punish them enough! Certain things I try to let go but you can't let everything go. If she says something with an attitude I'll make her say it over and over until she says it without. When she is grounded she looses EVERYTHING. No phone (which she hates the most), no ipod, no tv, no video games, no going out, no one coming over (her friends don't come over anyway cause she says I'm a psycho mom and too strict LOL), no staying home alone for any reason (she likes being home alone because her brother doesn't bother her). The only things she can do is read, play board games with the family, hang out with us, and she's only allowed to watch a movie with me if I put one on. She can play with her brother as long as they aren't fighting. If she's STILL acting up she gets extra chores added on. At that point I'm pretty much satisfied so if I hear her mummbling under her breath in her room I just ignore it.

- alwaysunsure

lneeson
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Your daughter is only 11 and I have to say when my daughter was 10-11, she gave me more of an attitude then. She is now 13 and is practically perfect!! I know, very hard to belive, since teeanagers are usually hard, but so far she is a really well behaved, respectful teenager. I think with my daughter, she went thru a "stage" when she was 11 and your daughter may be going thru the same stage. I did take things away or at least try but it was hard, because then she would get even madder at me. Good luck :)

Marsella
by on Dec. 6, 2009 at 4:08 AM

You give me hope! :)

Quoting lneeson:

Your daughter is only 11 and I have to say when my daughter was 10-11, she gave me more of an attitude then. She is now 13 and is practically perfect!! I know, very hard to belive, since teeanagers are usually hard, but so far she is a really well behaved, respectful teenager. I think with my daughter, she went thru a "stage" when she was 11 and your daughter may be going thru the same stage. I did take things away or at least try but it was hard, because then she would get even madder at me. Good luck :)

AmyB118
by on Dec. 6, 2009 at 7:39 AM

I am living in the hopes that PP is correct....my DD11 has a smart mouth and attitude to boot.  Her best friend's mom also has a DD15 and said that the troubling yrs for them were now thru 8th grade. Once she got to HS she was an angel.  I guess they are getting used to the whole body change, hormonal issues, peer stuff and growing up......hopefully we won't kill them before it evens out - LOL

OP - message me - we can try not to kill them together

pitbullmom78
by on Dec. 6, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Have you given any thought that the attitude and sassyness may be due to hormones? Not that it is a reason to act that way.

I know when I was that age and my body was ready to "start" I was NASTY!!!

boychaser3
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Quoting Snowflake2034:

~maybe go the other way with it and tell her what you expect from her and keep catching her doing it and reward her with praise when you "catch" her being good! Words like proud of you, and mature go a long way to compliment a tween! Good luck!!

I agree and don't worry it happens with boys too.  My 10y/o is starting to get this way, mostly just really short and snappy with me and his little brothers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)