Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

12 year old daughter with bad BO..........

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 11:06 PM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter is 12 and has the worst BO. It started with her feet. My goodness, her shoes stink within a matter of days her hands are always sweaty and for the past couple of years she has had really bad underarm or Body Odor. She sweats so bad during the night even deodorant sometimes does not help. So any suggestion as to what I can do to help my daughter "smell better"? She is a girly girl so it really bothers her. (And the rest of the family lol) She started her period 2 weeks ago I dont know if that would have anything to do with it but when she was on her period she had "THAT SMELL". I am sure you know what smell i am talking about. She took showers everyday, changed her pad frequently, and wore perfume. (but i still smelled it) Maybe it was just me knowing she was on it but I am concerned about how bad her odor gets. Any suggestions?? (She has always sweated this bad. As a baby she would have to sleep in just a diaper or she would wake up totally wet from sweat) My next step is to take her to the doctor but I thought I would hit up my fellow mothers on Cafemom.

signed, concerned and confused confused

by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
BOMBiiExMOMMiiE
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 11:50 PM

you should take her to her dr and get her thyroid levels checked..idk about all the other stuff but i know excessive sweating is a sign of a thyroid dysfunction...   i was just diagnosed with an over active thyroid and i ALWAYS had sweaty hands and feet, even when it was freezing i would sweat but anyways once they regulated my thryroid levels with meds i dont sweat like that lol its weird!

shell81
by on Dec. 17, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Quoting BOMBiiExMOMMiiE:

you should take her to her dr and get her thyroid levels checked..idk about all the other stuff but i know excessive sweating is a sign of a thyroid dysfunction...   i was just diagnosed with an over active thyroid and i ALWAYS had sweaty hands and feet, even when it was freezing i would sweat but anyways once they regulated my thryroid levels with meds i dont sweat like that lol its weird!

I agree because my mil and sil have no thyroid and they use to be like that. Let us know what happens. For now just keep doing what your doing. If she showers at night have her shower in the morning. That might make her feel better about going to school!

Shell
Group Owner To -
Moms With Blended Families   
& 
Tween Titans
& Big Kids CafeMom Scout

shebearncub
by on Dec. 17, 2009 at 8:30 AM

I have always sweated a lot and some deodorants didn't work for me at all when I was that age.

I finally realized if it had baby powder scent to it it was NOT going to work for me. A lot of tween stuff has that in it. You might want to look into a 'fresh' scent. Now that I am older I use Suave sweet pea and it works great on my sweating and oder but I remember those days....it was awful for me!(and the ones I loved).

Once you find a deo that works have her rub it on her feet as well before she puts on her socks. Just a little trick I learned.

I have a nephew who has horrible stinky feet! He inherited it from his dad......my sis says not much she can do about it. Its just a thing. His dad used baby powder in his shoes, I do remember that.

Good luck to her!

Charmedmommy82
by on Dec. 17, 2009 at 8:34 AM

try a "clinical strength" deodorant and put cornstarch/baking soda/baby powder/Gold Bond powder in her shoes; get scented pads for that time of the month and they have a feminine spray you can use down there to help with the smell as well....and take her to the dr just in case!  =)

me4stepmom
by on Dec. 17, 2009 at 8:56 AM

It could also help if she doesn't wear the same shoes every day.  In contrast to the last poster, I think using fragrance pads, etc. may not be the best idea.  Perfume and sweat do not smell good together.  ;-P  The most important thing, I think, is staying clean--changing her pad everytime she goes to the bathroom, clean socks, underwear, bra, shower every morning, and deoderant put on right after getting out of the shower...checking in with your doctor is a great idea, as well.  Do they still make shower-to-shower body powder?  Perhaps she could do that too before putting on the deoderant.  Hang in there, reading the other posters shows you're not alone!

Jennymomma3
by on Dec. 17, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Well, I think everyone else pretty much answered this question the same way I would.  I would seek medical attention, it could be a range of different thngs, including her hornone levels. My daughter is 11 and started her period for the first tme a few months ago, so I understand completely where you are coming from.  "That Smell" is noticable, and I am sure ths is causing ur daughter a lot of embarrassment. 

A side note, I am yet to find a deodarant that is consistantly working for my daughter. We have to switch brands often because they will work for awhile, then not anymore.  Good luck!!

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN