• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TV

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:48 PM
  • 5 Replies

What rules or guidelines do you use when it comes to watching tv?  Specifically, do you place limits on content and time?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
elfqueenof5
by on May. 3, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Yes, we've blocked all inappropriate content and they are limited on weeknites to only after all of homework, chores are done.  By that time, they are lucky to get an hour in.

Michele-w3
by on May. 3, 2010 at 8:59 AM

We sort of limit TV time.  They have to have homework and chores done and if it's a nice day, they go outside.  We do record some of their shows and they'll watch them when the weather is bad.  Their shows are all age appropriate.  My ds13 watches his recorded shows after his younger sisters go to bed because they are not allowed to watch his shows. 

jns131
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Ours has her own television. She does know the limits and knows we can disconnect the device if she violates the rules. Basically we she watches television within guidelines of Disney Channel, History Channel or something that is G to PG. But with her DVD/VHS combo machine she likes watching movies we have in the house. Television is off by 9:30 every nite.

momto3infl
by on May. 3, 2010 at 8:44 PM

nothing racy or R rated on hbo

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 6, 2010 at 9:48 AM

My two older girls (Alexis is 10.5, Kirsten is 6) have televisions and dvd players in their rooms. (Alexis is like me: she needs the tv on to go to sleep.) But I do monitor what they watch, and they know what is appropriate and what is not. They don't have a time limit, but they don't just sit on their butts and watch tv all the time, either. They are almost always doing something else while they watch; Alexis like to practice the moves for her cheer routines. (She's a multi-tasker like me, too. She can be dancing and cartwheeling around the room, and still follow what's happening on the show, lol.) They spend time outside with friends, or reading...basically I'm saying they don't watch tv 24/7, but I don't limit it, either. (None of my girls are overweight, btw...They are all tall and skinny.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)