Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HPV SHOT???

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2007 at 2:52 PM
  • 45 Replies
I was just wondering what your thoughts are on that new shot for cervical cancer.  I know that I have a couple that would be old enough to get it and my sister's doc just recommended it for her almost 12 y.o.........  I mentioned it to my dh and he almost freaked out....
I personally don't have an opinion yet because I don't really think there is enough research yet.
What do you think???
by on Oct. 9, 2007 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
onecrazymom
by on Oct. 9, 2007 at 2:57 PM
We have a very conservative pedi from India. He is raising his daughters conservatively, and tells my daughter every time he sees her, how important it is for a girl to be chaste. His daughters have gotten the injection, and he said my daughter should, too. He and I had a great discussion about this. The people that say that it leads to promiscuity are being ridiculous and not thinking things through. HPV can be an invisible disease. Some strains cause genital warts, but some cause no symptoms at all. Males can be carriers, and not know it. SO... EVEN IF your daughter remains a virgin until she is married... IF the boy she chooses to marry has EVER been with ANYone before (sexually), he could pass the HPV to your daughter, and neither would know it. Until it's too late, and the cells of her cervix have mutated (into precancer or cancer). NOT vaccinating against it is irresponsible and quite possibly a death sentence, considering the fact that she could contract the cancer-causing disease. Discuss that with your hubby, and tell him that even if your daughter reaches her wedding day as a virgin... unless she marries a virgin, she could still contract the disease. 

Be well,
Cindy

I get paid for my opinion

Click to read my personal blog page for Halloween ideas

Free $10 Citi Obopay Prepaid MasterCard®

bmbqueenbee
by on Oct. 9, 2007 at 3:02 PM
GOOD QUESTION!!! I have two twelve year old daughters and I am not sure what I am going to do either. I hope someone responds to this post with some information that will help convince me one way or the other.
Navy_Brat913
by on Oct. 9, 2007 at 3:14 PM
Human pappiloma virus is a sexually transmitted disease that causes cancer only in women.  I do not have a daughter, but I have a son who is of the age that young women would receive this immunization, and if the male equivilant was available I would allow him to get it.  HPV affects as much as 30% of the US population, and as much as half of that (possibly more) don't even know they have it.  This puts it as a second runner to herpes.  You don't necessarily have any symptoms.  The thing is, herpes doesn't cause cancer.

You don't have to be promiscuous to get HPV.  You just have to have a sexual experience (not necessarily intercourse) who had a sexual experience with someone who had a sexual experience (etc....) with someone who was exposed to the virus.  You know the analogy, one person you sleep with may be the only one, but unless you use a condom you are also having sex with everyone THEY had sex with, and everyone every person They had sex with.

An HPV vaccination is not a get out of sex free solution.  HPV is not just an STD, it causes cancer.  It's not like putting your kid on the pill to keep her from getting preggo.....cancer kills a lot more people than birth does, lol.  Plus, it's a vaccination to avoid a virus--you don't have to think of it as a sexual thing.

Millions of college bound kids take the hep c vaccination--yet one of the primary ways to get hep c is drug use.  Getting that vaccination did NOT cause millions of parents screaming because it promoted iv drug use, but for some reason people are convinced getting your daughter vaccinated for a disease which is primarily sexually transmitted means admitting she's sexually active or promoting sexual experimentation before marriage.  It does neither, it just protects her from exposure to a male partner who might NOT have been innocent when she met him, or who might have had a sexual experience with someone else who was not a virgin.

I just don't understand the parents who fight against something which can keep their children from getting cancer and or dying.  If there was an HIV immunization I would be SO there.  My ex husband is a sex addict, and I know that he did NOT always use condoms with ppl who he thought were clean.  He and I usually did, but not always, because I was young and dumb enough to think he was telling the truth when he told me he was faithful.  He has only gotten herpes and chlymidia so far.  But I know that not everyone he had sex with used condoms regularly, and I know not everyone he had sex with was a whore or a promiscuous person.  How would you feel if your daughter had sex with ONE guy.......who promised he had only been with one person?  Unfortunately that one person had sex one time with someone like my ex husband or an iv drug user.......and she got HIV or herpes, or HPV or anything else?  It can happen in ONE encounter with someone who is a really nice person, with someone who is not promiscuous, and who is clean and doesn't smoke, drink or do drugs.  There was a really good movie on Lifetime called Girl, Positive.  It's about that kind of thing.  She had sex one time with a guy who wasn't a slut, but who did iv drugs a few times.  She ended up HIV positive at 17 or 18.  One partner did it, and it was the high school football hero, not exactly a bum.

This is not an attack on any person who has written anything, but my hs thesis was on preventing teen pregnancy and teen stds, so it's kind of my soapbox subject, lol!  I had a lot of friends whose parents didn't give them sex ed becuase they thought telling the kids about sex promoted it.  I was the only one of my circle of friends who had sex later than 15 and who wasn't pregnant by 17, lol.  Most of my friends started at 12 to 14, and I am in my mid 30s now, and grew up in a relatively affluent area on the Connecticut coast.  Kids have sex, and it is happening more and more often.  Not every kid does it, but getting a child immunized against a cancer causing STD does not make them run out and have sex, lol......any more than telling them what sex is does. 
cutemommie
by on Oct. 9, 2007 at 3:29 PM

I do not feel I am giving my dtr a death sentence by not getting it. First of all who knows how long the shot is good for? They do not test things on children so who knows what the lasting effects will be. Also everyone carries this in your body and it doesnt protect from all forms of cervical cancer. So what do you tell your daughter when she gets the shot and then as a woman gets cancer anyways? You can get this shot up until your late 20's so why at 12 should I make this decesion? I just dont feel I need to run out and get every shot people say is beneficial. I am a nurse so I do know about healthcare. My pediatrician has not pushed this on us.
momof5inkansas
by on Oct. 9, 2007 at 3:42 PM
My daughter is 10 and we have started this round of shots. You have to have 3 and it hurts, but she sees it as just another vaccine. It seems that every time out family goes in someone is getting a shot for something. My Ped, OBGYN, and a friend, that is a nurse with her own tween girl, recommended it. Can it hurt?

momof5inkansas
Navy_Brat913
by on Oct. 9, 2007 at 3:46 PM
I am all for not giving unnecessary immunizations.  I refused to give my son one for gastroenteritis (flu) and 2 months later it was pulled, when several children died from it.  I don't think it's a death sentence to not give your daughter this.  I simply think we need to be grown up about it and to be so opposed to it to protest it because the thought that your little one might have sex at some point is immature. 

You don't have to give your daughter this.  But I am dealing with both my paternal and maternal families ripped up by cancer of different varieties.  I think anyone who has seen cancer hit their family is going to see this differently than someone who has not.  Don't keep your daughter from getting this.  Yes, you can get it well into your 20's.....but you can catch it a HELL of a lot sooner.  The immunization is no good if you already have it, you know?

If I was concerned (as it appears you are) I would wait a few years and re-evaluate it.  IF you still feel it is unsafe, discuss it with the doc, do your research, and talk with your daughter.  Kids aren't as naive as we think they are sometimes, lol.  Chastity is still best, but it scares me the amount of ppl catching this cancer causing virus every year,  and it's not bad people passing it around.
Chrokee
by on Oct. 9, 2007 at 3:48 PM
My daughter is 9, and I dont know if I want her to have it.  I've seen the side effects and they are not good!  I'm undecided and its very new, so I'm iffy about it.
quacked
by on Oct. 9, 2007 at 3:51 PM
Cervical cancer seems to run pretty high in my family. Both my mother and my younger sister have had to have hytorectomies due to it. I have been lucky. I think I'll be talking to my daughter about the HPV shots very soon.
CarrieLiz
by on Oct. 9, 2007 at 3:58 PM
I have posted this elsewhere too... I have HPV. I got it from my oldest daughters father, my first sexual encounter. He was a carrier. I found out on the day of my senior prom. I was devasted. I go annually for my paps. I have no symptoms and never had, just abnormal paps. When the virus is active I have to have a pap every 3 months. If I have 3 paps in a row of the virus being active I will have to have my cervix frozen. I have come close twice.

I will be having my 12 year old get is as long as the insurance covers it. It is very expensive!

This was my personal choice based on my personal experience.

Carrie

Mom to Alexis 12, Elizabeth 3 and Emma 17 months, wife to Bryan.

www.youravon.com/carriewallace 

cutemommie
by on Oct. 9, 2007 at 4:41 PM
I think there are alot of parents out there that think you can "catch" cancer or hpv, all women carry this and it depends how your body reacts to it. Also this shot doesnt protect from all cervical cancers, you can still recieve the shot and get cervical cancer. One of the reasons cervical cancer death rates are so high is because there are usually no symptoms until your in the further stages. I think I will wait until a little more is known about this shot and the side effects. But thats one thing to be grateful about we have the choice to get it or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)