Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans
I was just wondering what your thoughts are on that new shot for cervical cancer.  I know that I have a couple that would be old enough to get it and my sister's doc just recommended it for her almost 12 y.o.........  I mentioned it to my dh and he almost freaked out....
I personally don't have an opinion yet because I don't really think there is enough research yet.
What do you think???
by on Oct. 9, 2007 at 2:52 PM
Replies (41-45):
mommyofj.a.b.
by on Oct. 28, 2007 at 2:50 PM
I personally think it is ridiculous....that's just me!  I think that it's another unneccessary shot, but I also have major issues with the varicella (chicken pox) vaccine!  My daughter won't be getting this one unless it is an educated choice she makes when she's old enough to do so, and you can bet I'm not running out to get it!
semazani
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Quoting singlemom95:

I work for a pediatrician and it is highly recommended. The company has to test the immunizations for years before they are able to have them put on the market. It is a series like the Hepatits B vaccination. They get the first shot, one month later they get the second and 6 months they get the last. I cant tell you what to do, but I reccomend it.

One of the main reasons I am refusing it is b/c the long-term effects aren't known......what about 10, 20 years down the road.
maryzierhut
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Hi.   I know that we all would like to think that our girls are only going to have one partner in their lifetime, but, in this day and age that is unrealistic.  Even if they only had one partner, how many partners has he had?   A larger majority of men actually have the virus and don't know it because they have no outward syptoms and it can lie dormant.  
     I am a cervical/uterine cancer survivor.  We are only 4 out of 10 (uterine cancer survival rate of 2003). Which is really low.   In my case the cervical cancer lead to the uterone cancer.    I know that there isn't any one immunization out there right now that is right for everyone.  But if this one means one less, like their commercials, why not? 
      I know that when I ended up with the hpv virus, not only did I feel full of shame and filthy dirty, I was embarrassed as well.  That was over 18 years ago, and once it was gone I only had to think about it a couple of times after that.  Had I know then, that it could and eventually would cause me to have cancer that lead to my hysterectomy I would have been outraged.  I think that if you children tolerate the levels of mercury or whatever preservatives they are really using in these inoculations, why not? 
     But it is a very personal decision.    Good luck.   I hope that I have helped.

jasarileel
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 10:59 PM
Look I am 29 years old with 3 children 7, 8 and 11. I am also a Stage 4 Breast Cancer patient! My daughter already received this shot.
I will do anything that can prevent my child from having to go through anything even remotely similar to me! If it works GREAT and if not I can say I tried!
Mommoo5
by on Oct. 30, 2007 at 9:51 AM
I have two twelve yer olds and one 11 year old daughters. I am not against the shot or for it. It's just so scarey because it opens up so many topics.............
And like the Chicken Pox shot when they were babies, do we really know this is going to work. That it is safe.
I have a sister, brother and his wife who all have HPV> It is very common. And my sister is 10 years younger then I. She was diagnosed and I found out not only are you prone to cancer, but you increase your odds of other STD's when you have one.
So I guess, I'll keep reading, and thinking and I believe they will get the shot.
Jenn
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN