Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Not sure if I did the right thing

Posted by   + Show Post
Not sure if I did the right thing.  It is already done, but would love input for furture conflicts.

My son is 10, he is very bright and quick witted.  He is actually very very funny in an intellectual way and makes the adults crack up.  However, his quick wit is what is getting him into trouble with me.  He has not learned to filter yet.  So, he will pop one off at inappropriate times, or will make a joke that would be fine for an adult but would be disrespectful from a child (even though it is funny).  So on Tuesday he popped off again, and I took Wednesday away - completely.  It is spring break and he had all activities taken away....accept for reading.  Wouldn't you know it right after I punished him, his friends mom called to see if we could watch her son for Wednesday afternoon.

So here is what I did - I gave my son the choice of the original punishment with out his buddy coming over, or to have his buddy come over but he had to be my slave for the morning.  I had a list of 4 icky chores (like cleaning bird poop off the house) that he had to do.  He of course picked the slave bit.

So did I compromise my authority by changing mid-way through, or did I do ok by keeping consequences??
by on Apr. 13, 2007 at 12:15 PM
Replies (11-11):
kidsgot2luvem
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 12:55 PM
My son is the same way ---8.  He has 2 smart a-- parents and soI guess it comes natural.  Its hard to turn a friend down when they need a favor so I think you did the right thing.  He still got punished and you got to help you friend out.  The hardest thing for me is not laughing at his jokes when he should get in trouble for it. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)