Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Dating?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:19 AM
  • 17 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you think is a good age for your kids to start having a bf or dateing?

Options:

10 or under

11-12

13-14

15-16

18+

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 33

View Results

Wondering what everyone thinks a idea age for dateing is? My daughter whos 12 thinks its acceptable for her to date and have a bf, I dont think so by far! Tring to get her to understand school and learning first is most important and she can have all the friends she wants she dont need to concern herself with boys yet.

~Cherokee~
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I think at 12 having a boyfriend should be just a boy in school that they hang around with. Maybe a group date or two. At that age, boyfriends usually last about a week and then they move on.

What does your daughter concern a boyfriend? What kind of date is she wanting to go on?

15-16 is the age when I would be comfortable with a real boyfriend the way an adult would think of one. My DD is 17 and in October she will be with the same boyfriend for 2 years.

justcyarra
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:28 AM

my 12 sd told her father and i that she was going to make our life hell unless we let her boyfriend. needless to say she doesnt have a boyfriend. but she has succeeded in making our life hell

AmyB118
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Quoting justcyarra:

my 12 sd told her father and i that she was going to make our life hell unless we let her boyfriend. needless to say she doesnt have a boyfriend. but she has succeeded in making our life hell

Just curious - how can she do that - make YOUR lives hell?  I mean, I know my DD12 can be a PITA and all that but c'mon.....who is the parent?

IF DD wanted to go that route or even chose to say that to me she would be soooooo sssoooo lonely in her room w/no computer, cell, tv.......

She told me (@11) that I was "ruining her life" b/c I wasn't sure I was going to let her go to a dance one Friday nite....I told her "Not yet...but I will, I can promise you that".....she quickly got over that one and now we laugh about it.....

She is a drama princess (not quite a queen full time) but I seriously try to nip it when I see it - by either calling her attention to the drama, making her get out of the middle if it involves others, and usually laughing at her when she is being ridiculous.

me4stepmom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Group dating is fine at 12--large group of boys and girls, with no pairing off.  But, actually having a true "boyfriend" that you spend time alone with, no way.  It's way too easy for sexual experimentation to happen. 

Zaylah
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:06 PM

my 12 yo dd has a bf wich is fine because they don't date. The only time they see each other is in school and they talk on the phone maybe 2x a week. They can call themselves bf and gf all they want but they're not going out on a date even if it's a group date-nope

Momof5Teens67
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM

When our girls were in middle school and liked a boy a lot, we didnt let them go on dates BUT we invited the boy over to our house for dinners to play fun party family games with the family, to watch rented movies with all of us, we let them hold hands and sit together. if we went out to eat or to the movies or to the beach or a picnic or a family outing we would invite the boy and if we met the parents and trusted them then we let his family take her on outings with them as a family or spend time with his WHOLE FAMILY at his house too.

This made our girls very happy and helped us get to the know the boys they girls liked so much very well and him us too.

this worked out perfectly with our 3 girls.  we would do the same with our boys and their girlfriends too.

shell81
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I went out on a date at 12yrs old so to me it depends on how mature they are.

If mine came to me at 13 and asked to go to the movies with w girl I wouldn't care as long as I was there and I knew they were mature enough to go.

~Shell~
Group Owner Of - Moms With Blended Families 
Group Owner Of - 
Tween Titans
Group Admin To - CafeMom Group Resource Center

momto3infl
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 2:34 PM

a school boyfriend I would be ok for my 12yr (as long as grades are kept up) going out on dates with a group 13-14yrs old, and then by herself 16yrs old.

amberdy
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I think 16 is a good age for them to be able to start going out on dates and hanging out and stuff.  I have told my 12 y/o dd that she can have a bf, but that it would be a talking, texting and seeing him at school kind of thing, NO DATES.

rfourangels
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Sorry- I think dating is preparing one for marriage. I see no reason to detract from school and other friendships for a bf/gf. Friends that are boys or girls are fine- but they are neither mature enough or ready in any sense for a romantic relationship. I have a 13 yr old son who is as big as an 18 yr old, and handsome. He has 16 yr old girls calling him, they are really aggressive too. He's flattered, but we are all surprised that they are sooo aggressive!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)