Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

12 years old and becoming insecure. How to help her deal?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:36 AM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter has just started noticing her body and how it compares to others. Kids in Middle School do not make it easy when they are always pointing thigs out either. She is so gorgeous and not just because I am biased but, it is easier said than done to tell her to let it go!

Thoughts?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
swaites2003
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:50 AM

The most important thing is to make sure that you keep the lines of communication open. Make sure she knows that she can always come to you with anything and everything. Give her space to figure things out but make sure she has a stable foundation to fall back on. Support her in any way you can. You are obviously an AMAZING mother !!!

me4stepmom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I agree with the PP.  Keep telling her she can come to you with anything that's on her mind.  And, keep praising her for the good things she does and giving her honest compliments about how she looks.  Has she started her period yet?

girlsclubmom
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Mine (12 yr old) feels that way too. She is always showing me her stomach - and telling me she looks fat - she is 70 lbs!!! She is also short and wears glasses - so those are issues for her.

I just try to reassure her that she is beautiful and compliment her at times when she is not complaining. I think all kids feel like this - it is hard in our oversexualized airbrushed culture.

onlinemediasupp
by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 2:38 AM

I agree with the others, reassure her that she is ok and keep the communication lines open. Don't tell fibs though, you want them to believe you. I have told my darling daughter that if she exercised she could get a better tone.

Sway6575
by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 8:10 AM

No period yet even though she wants it so bad! Thanks for all the comments. I always hope that my view of her and love for her, will stay in her mind and be they way she see herself too.

Sway6575
by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Yes, we have begun to do that as far as being active. She plays softball and we try to keep her going even in the off season.

Thanks,

Sway6575
by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Exactly! Mine shows the belly roll too, even though there is not much there. Kids can be so awful and really rip each other apart. Good luck with yours.

12.step.mum
by on Jul. 23, 2010 at 4:36 AM

It breaks my heart I am having the same problem w/ my daughter..... but she says some kids at school are calling her fat at school and it just breaks my heart, I just try and tell her I think she is beautiful in every way, I love her & when she thinks that it makes me feel bad because she looks like me :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)