Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back To School Shopping With Tweens?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:20 AM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: During back to school shopping for clothes and supplies do you bring your tween with you?

Options:

yes

no

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

lunchbagcredit cardtypingbackpack

For back to school shopping on

School supplies

and/or

School clothes

Do you keep in mind what your tween likes and then go shopping and get the stuff yourself?

OR

Do you bring your tween with you to pick out everything in person or online?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof5Teens67
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I voted OTHER because:

For school clothes our girls always came with me, but our boys sometimes wanted and did come and sometimes they just said "you know what I like, skater clothes and told me what they needed."

For school supplies sometimes they kids wanted to come along, usually the girls, never the boys and sometimes the girls didnt want to come along, they just told me what they needed and trusted us to get stuff we knew they'd like.

So it depended on their moods I guess.

tinadf7
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I take them with - it's our bonding time and since I'm spending on THEM they're in great moods when we go...lol

For clothes I give them an amount ($100 this year since we bought a ton on ebay but usually $220) and give them a calculator. With that they have to buy enough pants to last through winter, long sleeves, light jacket, underwear and tennis shoes. They get to pick out all of their own clothes (as long it follows the school dress codes which is in my purse in case they try to argue) and I'm just there to pay.  They get to sharpen their math, practice budgeting and it makes them feel like I trust them.

jessicasmom1
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I take DD with me cause we may like something on the hanger and dislike it on her, or vise versa so yes, she went everytime

Momof5Teens67
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:23 PM

JessicasMom and Tinad7-  Do your tweens come with you to pick out school supplies other than clothes too?  Do they like going?

mumsy2three
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM

For school supplies like lunchbox and book bag yes, they can pick out what they want. For clothes my boys don't care so I just pick stuff up. My 16 y/o comes with me to shop for her own stuff though.

mommybug77
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:58 PM

They have to wear uniforms so no choice there. They get to pick out their back packs & shoes is about it.

shell81
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I always have my kids cause my dh works so much. So even if I wanted to leave them home I can't. I am use to them driving me nuts in the store.

~Shell~
Group Owner Of - Moms With Blended Families 
Group Owner Of - 
Tween Titans
Group Admin To - CafeMom Group Resource Center

AutymsMommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:36 PM

I take my school age daughter shopping for her supplies and clothing. We make a day out of it every season... shopping at the mall and downtown, then we go to lunch (or dinner). If my husband is traveling (and can't stay with our toddler son), then I have the sitter come over to sit with him :o)

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. My husband is head of my home. I am a proud Roman Catholic, as is my husband.             Aimee

MrsBLB
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Pretty much the same here. 

Quoting Momof5Teens67:

I voted OTHER because:

For school clothes our girls always came with me, but our boys sometimes wanted and did come and sometimes they just said "you know what I like, skater clothes and told me what they needed."

For school supplies sometimes they kids wanted to come along, usually the girls, never the boys and sometimes the girls didnt want to come along, they just told me what they needed and trusted us to get stuff we knew they'd like.

So it depended on their moods I guess.

Angiebooboo
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I may , I can not stand to shop with her. We fight over this and that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)