Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is 6th grade Middle School or Elementary School where you live?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM
  • 26 Replies

Poll

Question: In your schools do the 6th graders got to Middle School or stay with the Elementary School

Options:

Middle School

Elementary School

Intermediate School

Other (explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 51

View Results

This is the first year that the schools in my area have moved the 6th graders to the Intermediate School (4th through 6th).  Up until this year the 6th graders were at the Middle School.  The sixth graders are in a separate building that connects by a long hallway to the 4th and 5th graders.  It is like they are in their own school except they share the lunchroom, gym, etc.  Of course my 6th grader was very upset that she was not going to the Middle School this year.  So how is it where you live?  Do the 6th graders move on to Middle School or stay back with the Elementary School or Intermediate School? 

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TwinSoccerMom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:15 AM

In our district middle school starts in fifth grade.  But they are kept fairly separate from the older students and they do not change classes every hour.  Although they do change 2-3 times a day depending on their schedule.  They have their own lockers with locks (unlike in elementary school where they sometimes shared a locker and they did not have locks.)  So it is actually makes for a really nice transition period for them.

mommas3cubs
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:16 AM

elementary, 7th and 8th grade is in the High School, though they call it the JR/SR High School. its the High School.

MHeinley
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:25 AM

In my area 6th grade has always been in Elemetary school, but they have been rebuilding the Middle schools to bring in the 6th graders.

We just made a NEW Middle school for the ARTS that this will be their 2nd year for it and it has 6th, 7th and 8th graders who either play music or Dance.  My 6th grader got in and so will now be in Middle school, My 7th grader is throwing a FIT.  But at least they will be in different schools.  Its a Public school, so no tuition fees. :)

SNKMama
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:00 PM

we have too many kids for the number of schools, so they made middle school 7th and 8th grade. however, this year they are opening up a new middle school that will take 6th, 7th and 8th and see how the pressure goes from there

MandynBlyss
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:24 PM

In our district 4th to 6th is middle school.  My daughter is starting 4th tomorrow and will be at the middle school.  Eeee gads!

Momof5Teens67
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:48 PM

In every county we have lived in here in Mid Michigan, they have 6th graders in the middle school with 7th and 8th.

However when "I" was growing up in northern MI decades ago, we had 6th as the last year of elementary. Then we had an entire school of all the 7th graders.

Then we had a school of just 8th and 9th graders and then the 10-12th were the high school.

momto3infl
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Middle School

mommybug77
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:37 PM

We have no middle school in DD school, so it is elementary

AuntieV
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Up until I was in 5th grade Elementary was K-6 Jr High was 7-9 and HS was 10-12. They were building a new school the year I started 5th so the 6th grade went to another school. In 6th I was at the same elementary school as I was for 5th. In 7th they were again building a new school so had a split session with 7th going in the AM and 8th and 9th going in the afternoon. In HS I started attending the new HS with only 10th & 11th grades because the school was not completely finished. The next year they had all 3 grades.

Now  the split is K-5, 6-8 and 9-12. They also have several K-8 schools that filter into the high school for 9-12.

taysmom11
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I live in Fla and just started my daughter in 6th grade here.  When I went to school up in Ind. it was elementary and 6th & 7th were Junior High.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)