Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is seriously annoying and frustrating.

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:15 PM
  • 7 Replies

My 12 yr old daughter, thinks it's funny to act like a 5 year old.  When my boys who are 7 and 2 do something they're not suppose to, she laughs about it even though I constantly tell her not to.  Then she goes around singing these one sentence long songs and repeats them over and over in an annoying way.  She does or says things to my boys that gets them frustrated and they start whining and she laughs about it.  Also she will do some of the stuff they do and when I tell her to stop she laughs about that too.  It's cute when a 2 or 3 year old does certain stuff, but not at 12.  I find it very annoying.  She does not act 12.  I told her that if she acts that way in school that she won't have any friends.  She just laughed about that like I was joking.  Which all of us have been there in the 7th grade.  They don't want to hang out with someone who acts 4-5 years younger than they are.  I have disiplined her many times for this and she still does it.  Even her stepmom is annoyed with the behavior.  Thank for letting me vent :)

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
shell81
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 11:30 AM

What are you all doing to try and get her to stop?

AmberT.
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Quoting shell81:

What are you all doing to try and get her to stop?

I've grounded her, spanked her, stood her in the corner, took away things she likes, tried talking her her about why she shouldn't do it, yelled at her about it.  Nothing works.  Then when I ask her why she is laughing or I tell her not to she says she is trying not to laugh.  I have told her if she thinks it's funny she'll get in trouble too.  I'm out of ideas.  I've also stood her in the corner about singing those one sentence long songs because she kept doing it after I told her to stop.  She knows it annoys me because I have told her.  Now there is nothing wrong with singing a song and I have told her she can sings songs.  Just not the ones that are like three or 4 words that she repeats over and over again for the next 5-10 minutes.  It just gets on my nerves. 

SuperLooneyMom
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:31 PM
I don't think it's cute for a 2-3 yr old. Repetitive noise drives me bonckers. Now my 12 yr old son has the similar behavior and we constantly try to remind him not to act out before thinking . It seems that your daughter is getting what she wants. Attention... Negative attention. When my ds goes into this we try our bestto ignore it. But with the little patience I have it has become a endless chore. Trying something new though. My son are getting home before me and they are required to do chores . With Bryan if he acts out in any way I add 2 choresto have done. And perhap he won't do it again.
But please keep in mind and this is no indication for you daughter, but my son had ADHD so having him control his impulses is difficult. He actually sees a psychiatrist to help him.
But I think your looking at some serious attention issues. The solution may be a challenge but I am sure it will present itself
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
madipayt
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM

It sounds like she wants attention, but I could be wrong.  If it were me, i'd take her on a mommy & me lunch or dinner date and just have a heart to heart with her, maybe there is something more going on with her than you know.  Good luck!

Angiebooboo
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I go through that to with my teens, I pretend that I don't know them!

PinkLight
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Your daughter's main goal is to get your attention any way that works. Acting out in this way is working because she's getting under your skin and therefore, getting your attention. As hard as it will be, try ignoring her. Initially, she'll get worse (trying to get your attention). At the same time, whenever you see her doing something that's age appropriate, lavish lots of attention and praise on her. FOCUS on what you want her to do. It's hard to do and it works.

A point chart is a way to keep track of her behavior. You could start out with a small chunk of time say after school until after dinner. If she acts appropriately, she gets two points. When she gets points, give her lots of praise and recognition. When she gets 3 or 4 days in a row, treat her to something she loves. It sounds like time with you would work. It can be as simple as playing a game with her.

ladylovemm
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Try leaving her alone...not by herself...just ignor her.  She wants attention and now that she knows how to yank your chain, she's going to do it.  It's her way of getting attention.  Try it for about a month because she can go longer.  After a month of non reaction from you, start giving her responsibilities toward her brothers where you can get her to help you with their behavior.  You are spending too much energy making yourself mad and it's feeding her amusment.  You stop and she will get bored and stop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)