Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

When do they STOP believing in Santa?

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2007 at 5:09 PM
  • 52 Replies
My son (he'll be 10 on Sunday, 10/21) just handed me his "Christmas list".  I read it and almost fell out of my chair!!

He has items numbered 1-18.   15 of those items cost over $100 each (think computer, ATV, PSP).   His list costs over $3000 (which is more than my mortgage!)!!!   I told him that he needed to remove some of the items from the list because he wasn't going to get everything.  He comes back with 3 items crossed off....the 3 cheapest things!

I don't want to ruin it for him by telling him that Santa is not real, but I can't afford this list.  When I tell him that he can't have everything, he asks why, since Santa gets it anyway.

When did your tweens stop believing?
by on Oct. 19, 2007 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RandeeP
by on Oct. 19, 2007 at 5:31 PM
My son is 11 and still believes in Santa! Don't know how much longer that'll last tho! Last year he said to me "There has to be a Santa, cuz you're BROKE all the time Mom!" LOL! Randee
cshah123100
by on Oct. 19, 2007 at 6:26 PM
My daughter was 8 when she figured out there was no Santa but it was not something that we deliberately told her. When she figured it out we did not lie about it either. My little one will be 7 at Christmas time and still believes and i will let her until she decides other wise. Unless there are other issues with him knowing ( being teased in school) i don't think that you need to tell him there is no Santa. You could try telling him that Santa needs to share all the gifts with all the boys and girls and that he needs to just pick a couple of items.
bobbi318
by on Oct. 19, 2007 at 8:27 PM
My daughter is almost 13 & still "believes".  Although the last few years I have not come right out & told her, but have said that she would not be getting a lot.  I also refer to all the stuff she has & people who don't.  Her Sunday school program sponsors "christmas boxes" for the less fortunate & I always wonder when the question is going to come "why doesn't Santa just bring them stuff", but it never does.  My thought is they figure it out at some point & just "play along".
FutureLawyer
by on Oct. 19, 2007 at 10:42 PM
I told my son last year when he turned 8. Because I got one of these list with all the electronics on it and a dirt bike. First, I told him that Santa couldn't afford to bring him everything that he wanted his response was that Santa makes all the toys and he doesn't need money for these things. I finally had to break the news to him.

He was really angry at us and made me feel really bad when he informed me that "he didn't appreciate us lying to him all of these years".
summieone
by on Oct. 20, 2007 at 1:42 AM
My daughter will be 10 in a month and she acts as if she still believes but questions it often. She has a four year old brother and a 2 month old sister and I am afraid she'll ruin it for them if I tell her.
shelmadmom
by on Oct. 20, 2007 at 9:24 AM
My oldest dd just turned 10 in September.  She questioned me two years ago and I convinced her there is a Santa by telling her "you know we couldn't spend all that money so there has to be a Santa".  Of course, that was just supporting the theory that money is a non-issue with Santa!

She actually hasn't asked for much the past two years since then so we got away OK.  I honestly think she knows but just is afraid to say it out loud in case she's wrong and then the whole thing will stop for her!

Maybe your son is questioning Santa in his own mind and the big ticket list is his way of finding out if he's right?

If you want to keep him believing, maybe a letter from Santa on Christmas morning could tell him that all the things he wanted were very "grown up" things and take the elves a very long time to build -- longer than simple little kid toys -- so they did their best and got him the two best things on his list or something like that?

Good luck!!

Wendy
mom of 2 dd's (10 & 5)
cutemommie
by on Oct. 20, 2007 at 9:29 AM
My daughter was 10 or 11 when she new the truth, but my s/o has a 8yr old boy and 10yr old daughter and he says they both believe, I find it hard to believe his daughter in 5th grade still believes in Santa, I think 10 is the usual age they figure it out.

kasper794
by on Oct. 20, 2007 at 10:16 AM
my son is 11 now  but I think he figured it out around 9 years old. He acts like he believes for his 3 year old sis though.
tulip40in05
by on Oct. 20, 2007 at 10:53 AM
Mine figured it out around 9.  We were driving somewhere and they asked for an honest answer (a friend never believed and filled them in).  So, I gave them an honest answer.  They were quiet for a few minutes then one said, "What about the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy?"  I asked them if they really wanted to know and they said no.  It was hysterical.

But, we told them that if they don't "believe" they don't get presents.  So, they believe in the spirit of Santa Claus-being kind and good.

Michelle

PLEASE STOP BY MY PROFILE PAGE AND SIGN MY GUESTBOOK!  THANKS!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Chrokee
by on Oct. 20, 2007 at 10:59 AM
I'm telling my 9 yr old daughter this yr that there is no santa with a story, and I'm NOT doing the santa thing with my son, hes going to be almost 3 when christmas gets here, so hes going to be at the age of remembering.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN