Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Greetings!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hello everyone, I am Mom to a teen boy and three girls, the oldest of whom is a TWEEN! (12yo)

I am interested in girls and body image/weight issues at this age.  My daughter is not overweight but  is clearly influenced by all of the strangeness around food that hits many girls this age.  She's started eating differently (hyper concerned about "grease" and what's healthy) and wanting to go jogging a lot.  Nothing too scary, but my mother's intuition tells me that it's a delicate period right now, probably a time when a lot of girls develop eating disorders.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
SuperLooneyMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:23 PM
I would keep an eye on her eating habits as I dealt with my sister going thru vomit following eating phase at 15. But I am sure all is fine. She could use constant support and encouragement while she learns how to be independent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shell81
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Quoting SuperLooneyMom:

I would keep an eye on her eating habits as I dealt with my sister going thru vomit following eating phase at 15. But I am sure all is fine. She could use constant support and encouragement while she learns how to be independent.

I agree and it is good she is not wanting to eat grease and exercise! Just help educate her right.

~Shell~
Group Owner Of ~  Tween Titans ~
Group Admin In ~ CafeMom Group Resource Center ~
Group Mod In ~
Moms With Teens ~
Group Mod In  ~
The Park Bench ~

BasketballMomMD
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Welcome. I encourage you to follow your intuition up with ongoing education about what is acceptable (i.e. healthy diet and exercise) and what isn't (i.e. skipping meals or eating only a few bites).  Balance the education with loads of affirmation. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)