• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Halloween?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM
  • 16 Replies

Do your tweens still dress up and go trick-or-treating?  My 11-year-olds (boy/girl) plan to go this year but are really stuck as to what to dress up as.  Usually they know months in advance.  I am trying to encourage them to make their costumes this year.  The costumes for tween girls at the Halloween stores are much too skimpy for my liking.  (I'm not a prude but I don't think an 11-year-old girl needs to be wearing short shirts and low cut dresses.)

They are both creative but they just can't seem to come up with anything that sounds appealing.  They don't really want to go as a pair either.  They have only done that once since they were little and we picked out their costumes.  A couple of years ago they went as Harry Potter and Hermione Granger.

Anyone have any ideas?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wondergirl
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:55 PM

I know my 10 yo dd definitely plans to dress up and trick or treat and I am pretty sure my 12 yo dd will want to also. As far as costumes, yes, I agree with the lack of commercial costumes for girls that are appropriate. My girls honestly will be dressing up like anime characters that no one has even heard of and they will put together their own costumes for the most part. As long as they are having fun, I guess it is ok!

shell81
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Mine are 11,8,6 yes they will be going!

AmyB118
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:24 AM

DD12 is still going - looked shocked when I said this may be her last yr - haha.

She always picks something odd - was a dead cheerleader one yr, some goth fairy the next....she's been a lacrosse player when we didn't have the money for a costume one yr (she has played for 6 yrs and has plenty of the necessaries), we always find something at one of the online costume shops and comprimise when it comes to skimpy.....she's pretty modest and easy going.

nngmommy83
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:51 PM
DD is going as the Mad Hatter this year, she's 10
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TwinSoccerMom
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I tried talking my son into that when his sister said she might like to be Alice in Wonderland.  No luck.  :-)

Just curious, has your daughter bought her costume or is she (or you) making it?

Quoting nngmommy83:

DD is going as the Mad Hatter this year, she's 10

shell70al
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 3:13 PM

My almost 12 year old is dressing up and I imagine she will be out there trick or treating too.  They are having a 20s dance the week before halloween so she is wearing her flapper dress for halloween.

Ibelongtojesus
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 8:37 AM

My 11 year old ds is dressing up as a teen zombie skateboarder.

Teen Boys Skate Punk Zombie Costume
$24.99
SuperLooneyMom
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 11:30 AM
This year is my ds last yr of trick or treating. He's 12 and I told him he is getting too big to do little kid things. I hate seeing teens at night running over little kidsto be the first ones to the next house. And I am stipulating it to my kids.

Not sure what big b wants to be and my 11yr ds not sure either. we usually buy in sept to beat crowds but fallin behind his year. I personally don't like dressing up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkLight
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 9:46 AM

My 12 yr old ds wants to wear a costume to school which is fine. We haven't found anything yet in the catalogs because they have kids sizes up to 10/12 and men's and nothing inbetween for boys. So I'll take him to the fabric store to see what we can find. Since we have his 4yr old brother with us now, we'll take both boys out. It's a fun family outing for us and I only let them have a small portion of the candy that I approve of. Most of it gets donated.

sweetpea292
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 6:55 PM

my  said she to old go trick or treat she only 9 year old she going stay home pass out candy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)