Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Competition for birthday parties

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2007 at 11:40 PM
  • 14 Replies
When does this end?  Does anyone else seem like when it's time for their childrens birthday you have to keep up with the Jones'?  I can't take it.  It's hard enough....we have Hanukkah, Christmas & on the 18th of Dec. it's our girls birthday.  Yes, girls....one will be 12 & the other 4.  The 4 year old isn't into the whole thing yet, but it's the 12 year old....she wanted a late night bowling party...2 other friends had one.  She wanted a swimming party....the same. 

We told her that we will have a "movie" theme.  Start at 11 & end at 3.  I have a friend who is a mgr at the local movies that will get me popcorn, a large bowl with individual boxes of different candies, I will speak with the parents & figure out if there will be soda or not & we will be serving burgers & hot dogs.  Cake & ice cream to top it all off.

She loved that idea, but I think she loved the idea of her brother & sister going elsewhere for those 4 hours.
by on Oct. 28, 2007 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momothree5
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 12:17 AM
Great idea!  Move the furniture and put down blankets and pillows.  Give each girl a pair of sunglasses since they are 'movie stars' themselves.  Let them make their own video and play it at the party.  Too fun - you will be the new trend setters!
summieone
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 1:13 AM

I know what you mean. My daughter is only 9 and she is already wanting what all the girls are having! She turns 10 in two weeks and she also wants a bowling party with 10 friends and a High School Musical theme. I am doing the best I can to accommodate her because it's her 10th B-day. It's expensive though. I like your movie theme. I wish I had a bigger house because what my dear daughter really wants is a sleepover. Maybe next year!

elvenmajik
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 1:58 AM

I can understand the frustration you would feel with your daughters wanting what everyone else has for birthday parties. Be thankful, please. Every year we get tears because almost nobody comes. Last year only one person came. Be thankful for the friends that your girls have. My daughter is going to be 11 this year and all she wants is to transfer schools so that she can finally make some friends.

YuppyMom
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 2:00 AM
Maybe it is just a matter of perspective and things relative to where you are.

I find things like bowling parties, skating parties, swim parties, etc to be cheap and easy.  To me, these things are not remotely over the top or worthy of "competition" in any way. 
wubbiwuwu
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 7:46 AM
I have to agree with YuppyMom. Through most of my kids lives, I have done the at home party for them. The parents and kids have loved it because no one does it any more. Everyone thinks it's so hard, but last year, we did both boys' parties at party places and they were just as hard to plan and much more expensive.

This year, for my son's 10th, I told him no party. Just pick two friends and we will all go to your favorite place, the Museum of Science in Boston.   Well, he and his friends loved it. Luckily, one of them was a family member and we got to use the pass to defray some of the costs. So we did the planetarium show for all of them too. Very memorable and those two friends got to know how special they were to my son.

So that's my new thing. 10 and up, it's something small and special.

Of course, he wants to do laser quest because he just went to a friend's party there, but I have a few months to turn him to something a bit smaller and more special.
wubbiwuwu
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 7:49 AM
On the December birthday thing, we did my 10 year old's birthday in June for years. We called it a half birthday party. It really helped to move it out of December. There is too much going on and often kids couldn't make it because of family obligations. We also did it in January one year. We just sent out the invites in December. We will probably do that this year too.
Casey
swnzmom
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 10:53 AM
We have also done the Sumer 1/2 birthday thing for a few years, but where she is getitng older & the only request she had was to have her friends for her birthday when her birthday is...we should be able to do that for her.  The way we look at is that it's not her fault when her birthday is.  She also already shares that special day with her younger sister.  We can't do much for our children, so we try to what we can.

I also would have thought that bowling parties & swimming parties would be cheap, but not.  It's expensive around here & since this is the first year that she really has friends.....we want to do something different.  Maybe the word competition was incorrect, but sometimes that's what it feels like
vickileolady4
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 12:40 PM
I feel ya!!  And my mom always yells at me for going over board. She always says what ever happend to cake and ice cream??  Not any more, the b-day parties are out doing graduation parties now.  And i have 2 of them at the same time, both girls graduate in the same year, yeah for me.

Yesterday is history
Tomorrow a mystery.
Today is a gift.
That's why it's called the present!
Sweetpnk
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 1:03 PM
What a Wonderfull idea... my son will be turning 12 this January and i think that would be a great thing to do for him!!! Thank you!!!
scoutmomof2
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 1:26 PM
My daughter turned 11 in August and we did a movie theme party. It was fun, I overheard a couple of the girls saying it was the best party they had ever been to!lol And it wasn't very expensive either. I made a Marquee sign and hung it over the windows, had a red carpet leading to the front door and a VIP entrance sign on the door. I hung gold and silver stars inside and a big Hollywood sign on one of the walls. Good luck! I bet your daughter and her friends have a lot of fun!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)