Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Competition for birthday parties

Posted by   + Show Post
When does this end?  Does anyone else seem like when it's time for their childrens birthday you have to keep up with the Jones'?  I can't take it.  It's hard enough....we have Hanukkah, Christmas & on the 18th of Dec. it's our girls birthday.  Yes, girls....one will be 12 & the other 4.  The 4 year old isn't into the whole thing yet, but it's the 12 year old....she wanted a late night bowling party...2 other friends had one.  She wanted a swimming party....the same. 

We told her that we will have a "movie" theme.  Start at 11 & end at 3.  I have a friend who is a mgr at the local movies that will get me popcorn, a large bowl with individual boxes of different candies, I will speak with the parents & figure out if there will be soda or not & we will be serving burgers & hot dogs.  Cake & ice cream to top it all off.

She loved that idea, but I think she loved the idea of her brother & sister going elsewhere for those 4 hours.
by on Oct. 28, 2007 at 11:40 PM
Replies (11-14):
sewingsandy
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 1:48 PM
I can feel your pain.  My son is 11 and has a summer birthday.  This summer instead of keeping of with the Jones ( the kids have their parties at Fun & Stuff -an older type Chuck E. Cheese and pricier).  My husband and I took his 5 friends to a movie, pizza at our house and a campfire.  We sat around and made up scary stories. All the boys liked it except for one, he doesn't like anything because his parties are better. We had a sleepover in our living room for those who wanted it.  I think it is harder for the girls parents then it is for boys parents.  My feelings are with you.  Sandy
lakerfan420
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 4:13 PM
I have found it to usually be about the same whether we do party at home or at a place that does the party for you. We have done bowling,miniature golf, Chuck e Cheese (when they were younger), Build A Bear (my personal favorite and reasonable, as low as $10 kid including a bear) as well as house parties and sleepovers. My mom just bought a house with a pool and put up a waterslide, so my 9 yr old has already requested a pool party at Grandma's. (her b-day is usually the weekend b4 memorial day). I have found that the kids just truly enjoy being with their friends and doing something special, whether it be out someplace or having the entire house all about them for a day.
Rach35mama
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 4:18 PM

We have parties at the dance studio for all 4 of my girls, most of the time, I coach there, and all 4 of my girls are in lessons now, so it doesn't cost much. but I believe the price isn't too bad otherwise.
the movie idea sounds wonderful though! I think maybe for Spencer's next birthday I'll have a movie themed one!

YuppyMom
by on Oct. 29, 2007 at 8:47 PM
Just to clarify, I think parties like Chuck E. Cheese, Bowling Parties, Skating Parties, etc are very inexpensive compared to what it runs me to do a home party, or a nicer event party.  However those parties are usually EASY compared to having a home party when it comes to planning/clean-up, etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)