Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often do you talk to your tween about

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM
  • 12 Replies
Sexual predators? Do you check in with them to make sure no one has touched them inappropriately?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephaniel28
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I'm always telling/reminding my daughter about sexual predators.  I do not, however, ask her if she's being touched.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM

My kids know about them and we discuss this often. I do ask them every few months if anyone has tried to touch them in any way that they are not suppose too. My kids also know that if someone does touch them and then threaten them with harm if they tell to still tell us because that person will not be able to harm them.

I learned this lesson when I was little and a very close family member was molested for 2 years. He knew what good touch and bad touch was, but no one ever asked him outright if anyone had ever touched him inappropriately so he never told.

Stephaniel28
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:20 PM

That's very true

Quoting psych_mom:

My kids know about them and we discuss this often. I do ask them every few months if anyone has tried to touch them in any way that they are not suppose too. My kids also know that if someone does touch them and then threaten them with harm if they tell to still tell us because that person will not be able to harm them.

I learned this lesson when I was little and a very close family member was molested for 2 years. He knew what good touch and bad touch was, but no one ever asked him outright if anyone had ever touched him inappropriately so he never told.

viv212
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I don't have it scheduled in but anytime she's somewhat alone or I don't have a good eye on her (you know, to give her a little independance) I ask her.

Or sometimes just randomly when I hear about other stuff going on, or we were watching a movie, or something like that.

Raven45
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:40 PM

My daughter tells me about everything going on in her life plus with having 2 adult brothers she knows what is acceptable behavior from her and everyone around her and not acceptable.  Believe me her brothers tell her all the time.  If anyone came near her she would never go near them again and tell me instantly. 

Iiluzion
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Yep been there and done that.My oldest have known these things since they were 3...Some moms on here may disagree but they know the basics oo and how babies are made and what condoms are used for and the right way plus wrong way. Not to mention the right terminology to go along with.See the open communication is key here and thats with everything.I dont want them to ever be bashful about asking or curious or what something perhaps feels like.Now its not done directly so dont get me wrong there.But the basics is good to know. Including bad strangers and our philosphy of an eye for an eye. To many weirdos out there and gosh for bid they touch any of our children.I do and will not let up till something is takin careof period.

momto3infl
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Once in a great while.  It is not something  dwell on.  I check the computer out few times a year to see if and how many life near us or in our park.  If something comes up in conversation I feel I need to question more or talk more on then I do.

fineyouguyswin
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:14 PM

We have talked about it frequently their fathers step dad is a 3 time sex offender against small boys

psych_mom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Its not something to dwell on, but I think with the number of child molesters out there as a parent you can never be to vigilant or too careful. Case in point- I was at a park the other day where children were and there was a man masturbating in his vehicle. Kids by themselves wouldn't know what was going on, but as a parent I was very aware. Thankfully my kids were at school and yes, I called the police.

Quoting momto3infl:

Once in a great while.  It is not something  dwell on.  I check the computer out few times a year to see if and how many life near us or in our park.  If something comes up in conversation I feel I need to question more or talk more on then I do.

Trixi.VonLace
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:30 PM
Ohh all the time!! I found out that there were TWO living in our community so I started becoming even more obsessive about it. I found an ap for my phone that gives me street names, pictures and what there offense was and when. My DD and my oldest DS look over it weekly!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)