Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babysitting

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:54 PM
  • 9 Replies
When is an appropriate age? My almost 11 year old SD is no where near responsible, even as a mothers helper! I have a 1 yr old DD and DH asked SD to keep an eye on her sister while we were in the kitchen getting ready to leave for vacation. When I go into the living room SD is standing staring at the tv with remote in hand while DD had lifted up an end table! SD was told she needed to watch DD better not the tv. We get to our vacation house and SD was asked to again watch DD so we could bring stuff in the house. She was reminded to watch DD and we didn't turn the tv on to avoid SD being distracted. All of a sudden I hear a thud and DD starts screaming. DD had Put her on the couch and walked away. When DD tried to get off ofthe couch SD was in the kitchen and DD fell head first onto a ceramic tile floor. She had a really bad bump on her head. I find out later SD Was in the kitchen and nit paying any attention to DD. I don't feel like I can trust SD to watch SD at all unless I am right there and then what is the point?! I have talked to SD about how to watch a toddler but at this point she has proven she isn't ready for the responsibility on any level. What about your kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
butterfly-jo
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:18 PM

dd is 11, she will be 12 in july.  i think she is pretty responsible.  and every now and then i will ask her to watch the littlest one while i run to the bathroom or something..but i don't have her 'babysit' exactly.  i feel that i had more kids, not her, so it isn't her responsibility. 

now...if she wants to play with the baby then will take full advantage and throw a load of clothes in the wash or something..but it never lasts for more than 5 min.

also...if she wants to go outside and play and asks our 4 yr old to go with her...then i tell her she has to be responsible for him...but i can always see where they are playing through a big sliding glass door..and we are no where near the road.

ZBandMom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I think it depends on the kid themselves.  Some 11-12 year olds are more responsible than others.  Heck, I know some teenagers who aren't responsible enough to take care of a baby doll so there is no way I would let them babysit a real child.  Responsibility should definitely be a key factor, not just the age.

lucky11mom
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:28 AM
I agree. my DD cannot wait to babysit. shes such a little mama and a big helper with the baby. I think doing a test run while youre there supervising is the best test. if she had no interest in it then I would say never.

Quoting ZBandMom:

I think it depends on the kid themselves.  Some 11-12 year olds are more responsible than others.  Heck, I know some teenagers who aren't responsible enough to take care of a baby doll so there is no way I would let them babysit a real child.  Responsibility should definitely be a key factor, not just the age.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephaniel28
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 2:10 AM

I won't let my daughter babysit until she's at least 13-14 (which puts our youngest at 4-5).  It's not that I don't trust her, but exactly what you said.  Young kids/teens don't watch them (or understand the full extent of the possible dangers) like an adult does.  Right now the baby is only 19 months and I would be so nervous leaving her at this age with my almost 11yo.  She helps out a ton with her and I feel good having her watch her if I'm in the house, but not while I'm gone gone.

MarcellaFL
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 5:10 AM

My daughter has been our "babysitter" since she was 11-ish. I had a friend who was a red cross certified babysitter trainer and she trained my daughter. I would ask my daughter to watch the boys if I had to run to the store. Once she hit 12 hubby and I would go to dinner. (never longer than 2 hours). When she turned 13 we progressed to 4 hours (dinner and a movie). I always pay her as I would any babysitter. She has served as a mother's helper and has served as "security' at birthday parties with little kids and weddings of friends. She is amazing.

My 9 year old son is actually asking about when he can take the training and start watching his brothers.

bellasmom32510
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 7:49 AM
SD has asked in the past about watching her sister and because we had talked about the responsibility on more than one occassion I thought she would be a little better at it especially after what had happened with the end table. Her first reaction was to lie and say she had looked away for a second but then I found out she had walked away from DD and was nowhere near her. I remember being excited to babysit and taking it seriously. I feel like now I can't trust SD unless I am sitting right there to watch. I am just glad DD wasn't seriously hurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KTMOM
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 8:48 AM

My son is 11 1/2 and an only child, but he is VERY good with other kids and will make a great sitter.  I nanny three days a week for a little girl and he is always so helpful with her when he goes with me,  he loves babies and is so patient and sweet with them.  My cousin was visiting over the weekend with her 2 year old daughter and my son was stuck to her like glue the whole time,  helping her and watching her very carefully.  It made me proud. :)

MrsArnett
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I will let my daughter babysit when she is 10. She is very very mature for her age (which makes me sad sometimes). at 8 she stays home alone for short period of time and we never have a problem at all.

fineyouguyswin
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 5:59 PM
Baby sit alone they will be 15 at least. However my oldest has always been a great mothers helper he is very attentive
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)