Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Slacking

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:34 PM
  • 9 Replies
My 9 year old is a very smart kid. He was tested for gifted classes and placed in them but this year he's been slacking in school. He's not trying on his work at school and he's lying saying he doesnt have any homework or he's doing his homework and not turning it in...what upsets me even more is that the teachers lack any concern for the issue. I didn't find out that he wasn't turning in homework until his report card came for 3rd quarter and it was all Fs. I was talking to a friend of mine and she said her 9 year old is having the same issues. Have any of you moms experienced this with your tweens?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SAHMOF2B1G
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:31 AM
I thought you had my kid for a sec. Lol welcome to pubertyyy mommy.:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky11mom
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:03 AM
no. what does he have to say about it all?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tifferoo3
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 9:28 AM
I made him clean out his desk and locker and bring his papers home and went through them. I asked him what all the blank worksheets were and he said oh its just something if we got done early in class we could do. He had a worksheet about reading maps an there were 6 questions he wrote 300 miles for every answer and turned it in. The first answer was 300 miles but he only got 1/6. Needless to say until his grades come up he has lost video and computer games. I do know that his English grade came up from an F to a C but still waiting for interims to see where he stands. He's been bringing homework home since he got in trouble.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Is there a way to coordinate with the teacher so that you're aware of the assignments and can keep on his butt?  If you're so far up his butt that he can't stand it, he'll get the message and flight right!

Tifferoo3
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 2:14 PM
I would like to be able to do that but I can't even get the teachers to return calls or anything the one wanted me to call and schedule a conference with her I have called numerous times left her voicemails and she won't call me back. I called the school about it and they said well she does teach classes...umm ok???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Not yet, but I am thinking I will when my son gets older.

momoftwohearts
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 3:38 PM
My son is 10 and also in gifted classes. One thing that helped me was going to some if the meetings for gifted children. The speaker last time was talking about how gifted children have issues with perfectionism and are more likely to quit things than your average student because they hate to lose so tend to quit. I try to keep my son busy and also discipline him regularly when he tries to give up. I would schedule a conference with his teacher and if that didn't work, go to the principle and last step, the board. I couldn't imagine my sons teacher acting that way, much less the school. All in all, they are tweens and that is par for the course even
w/o the gifted part.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fineyouguyswin
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 5:26 PM
No I pick him up daily and his teacher will say something if one assignment doesn't come in we also get progress reports every 3 weeks any drop is fixed right away
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KTMOM
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 7:38 PM

We have parent connections website to help keep track of things as well as kids bringing home agendas and the teacher sends a weekly email so we know what is supposed to be done,  that helps. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)