Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

What age do you think appropriate for daughter to have boyfriend?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM
  • 19 Replies

My daughter is only 11 going on 12 this summer.  It seems like kids grow up so much faster these days then what we did.  Seems like all her friends talk about are boys.  I think its okay, but I feel she is young to have a boyfriend just yet.  The only thing she is allowed to do is just text on the phone, but still I feel like kids get to serious to quick and to young.  I just wanted others thoughts on this too........

Angela

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/angelb123
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:45 PM

I remember having a "boyfriend" at 11 or 12, of course it was never anything serious. I think as long as a parent sets boundaries, that a "boyfriend" is ok as long as it isn't serious at this age. Of course, my husband is probably thinking that 30 is about the right age. lol

ZBandMom
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:55 PM

My oldest DD has had a steady boyfriend since she was 14 years old and a freshman in HS.  She will be 17 years old in July.  They have been together for a little over 2 1/2 years now.  They did not ''date'' til she turned 16.  Before that, they went places with friends or with me and DH or with the boyfriend's Mom.

My 13 year old talks about boys but has no desire to have a boyfriend right now. 

Barabell
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 11:06 PM

We haven't decided on a set age. I figure we'll make the decision based on his maturity level when we cross that bridge. Right now, he's not interested in dating.

bellasmom32510
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 6:39 AM
It will be atleast 16. DH says 40 but u don't think that will work very well. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterfly-jo
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 7:42 AM

well dd is 11 and will be 12 this summer.  she has a 'boyfriend'  she asked me if she could say yes to him before she did though :)  but...they only see each other at school.  she is allowed to call him (if she stays in the same room as me to talk)...but she doesn't.  she really isn't too into boys, i think she just wanted to have a boyfriend because her friends did honestly.  anyway, they call each other boyfriend / girlfriend but they don't talk outside of school and even if they did talk on the phone...they aren't allowed to go out anywhere together...even on group dates or anything.  and....they don't go to each others house or anything like that.

when she is maybe about 14 or so i will allow her to go on group dates.  and if she has boyfriends they can come here to hang out every now and then but she won't be able to go to their house.  i know from past experience that parents of boys don't always pay as much attention to what kids are doing..lol).  and then....i guess when she is 16ish she will be allowed to have real dates...depending on her maturity (and the guy!!!)

butterfly-jo
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 7:43 AM

and, if it makes you feel any better about all her friends talking about boys...my twin nieces (who will only be 8 in may) have been boy crazy since they started kindergarten.  one has been engaged twice and has had at least 20 boyfriends.  lol.  i'm just hoping they chill out on that before they are much older!!

fineyouguyswin
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 8:11 AM

My kids will be at least 14. Then it will go on maturity. I had a boyfriend at 13 and while I knew very much what love was I wasn't mature enough to handle the relationship properly and we did some things we weren't proud of.

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2011 at 8:29 AM

If my dd at 12.5yrs old followed our rules and the boy was nice enough and we liked him we would have no problems with her having a boyfriend at this age-that is what we have said for the last 1.5yrs.  IDK maybe due to the area of where some of us grew up.  I was 11-12yrs old and on the phone all the time with guys and girls and had my first real crush at 12.

Wyldbutterfly
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I completely agree with you. Too young, too serious and far too fast. My DD is 13 and I wouldn't allow her to date. I think 16 is a good age to start allowing it.

Sew-sun
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 9:54 PM

The appropriate age is 26 years old but if you think that you

daughter is mature enough do have explain the relationship fully.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN