Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are some affordable activites thst you do in the spring/summer with you family.

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:15 AM
  • 13 Replies

I was just thinking school will be out soon.  We do library activities for the kids and the park.  I was trying to think of some different stuff to do.  Any ideas.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Do you guys have a community pool or nature preserve or a small petting zoo? Kids love these.

Rogue35
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:21 AM

We do have a pool but it seems like it is overrun with teenagers.

psych_mom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Google national parks for your area and also go on your city's website, they usually have things listed that you may not be aware of.

Quoting Rogue35:

We do have a pool but it seems like it is overrun with teenagers.

Rogue35
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Thanks that is a good idea.

our3
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:38 AM

We gong fishing alot ($3 a trip aprox), camping ($15 a night), hiking (free). I also purchased a small 12 foot round pool on clearance in the winter at 90% off plus an additional 10% coupon, so only paid $18. We will be putting that up as well. We will also be going to the Wisconcin Deer park this year and to Ripleys believe it or Not museum.

Do you have a museum near you, sometimes they offer free days.

KTMOM
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:00 AM

We go to our rec center and we love to just pack a picnic and go hiking and play frisbee at local parks.

Rogue35
by on May. 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Great ideas keep them coming.

bellasmom32510
by on May. 22, 2011 at 3:47 PM

We have season passes to the theme park so we will go there a few times a week in the AM before it gets too crowded and hot.  We also ahve our own pool.  Other than that we will probably go to the children's museums.

auroragold
by on May. 22, 2011 at 3:50 PM

There is a FREE BOWLING program hosted by a number of bowling alleys around the country.  I can find the link if you want.

Free museum nights sponsored by Target and Bank of America and Macy's (I think I saw that one listed in a thread here).

Check your local library for summer programs. Ours conducts arts/crafts programs and other free events over the course of the summer.

allwritenow
by on May. 22, 2011 at 4:22 PM

You might want to check with your local library and see what free/discount passes they have for local museums and attractions. I am in New Hampshire, and our library has passes to both local museums and some in Boston.

We are also close to the beach (which is fairly cheap entertainment if you bring your own food), and historical  sites tend to be fairly inexpensive. Many areas offer concert or movie series during the summer. If you have a regional parenting publication, check it out. There might be ideas in there. The Internet and the library can also be great resources for things in your area. Good luck! I can already hear, "Mom, I'm bored. Can we DO something?"

eye rolling

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)