Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can moms with radically different parenting styles remain friends?(PIOG)

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:32 AM
  • 8 Replies

We all have our own parenting style, be it helicopter mom, tiger mom, or something else, right?  We do what feels right for our family.  But what if your best friend has a completely different parenting style?  Can you still be friends?  Is agreeing to disagree the way to go, or do you need to seek out mommy friends who have similar styles to your own?

I found this blog post really, really interesting and it made me realize that I do have several mom friends who have completely different styles than my own and I'm okay with it!  While I don't think we have fundamentally different thinking, we do have different ways to go about things.  Different rules, different discipline styles, etc.

What do you think? Are your mommy friends similar in style to your own or do you enjoy your differences?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KTMOM
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I have friends all over the board as far as parenting styles go.  What it comes down to for me is OUR relationship and level of respect we have for each other,  how we parent our kids is a totally secondary thing. Now, obviously if there was a friend who was being awful or abusive,  I would have to speak up about it,  but parents that do things different than me (whether more permissive or more strict) are just as worthy of respect and friendship as I am.

Brehi
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:03 PM

my friend  and I had our sons a month apart.We can hang out together without the kids but our boys don't hang out at all. Our parenting is like day and night. When the boys were younger she allowed her son to talk back to her, hit her,  and talk  and treat my kids bad. I didn't want my kids picking up those habits and my son came to me and said he didn't want to go and play with him.Now that our boys are tweens, they havn't seen each other in years. Her sons still rule the house and get into trouble at school alot.

itsallabtthem84
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Yes they can be friends. I have friends that parent way different then I do. It is not my child or family and I see that each parent can parent there child there own way.

shell81
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:49 AM

I agree but I tend to sometimes think the way "SOME" people parent is wrong but I dont' say anything. Sometimes I just offer advice:)

Quoting itsallabtthem84:

Yes they can be friends. I have friends that parent way different then I do. It is not my child or family and I see that each parent can parent there child there own way.

~Shell~
Group Mod In Tween Titans  ~ Moms With Teens The Park Bench

sarebear31976
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I am a Mormon mom with 3 kids, and I am pretty strict with where my kids go, what they watch or listen to, and who they hang out with.  My BFF is a lesbian with 4 kids, a wife, very few restrictions on language, TV, etc... We get along just fine.  Our kids play together, we hang out together, and everything is fine.

Zamaria
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM
Yes, as long as neither friend criticizes the other's methods. I can't stand judgmental people, so that would bother me much more than their different parenting style.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wyldbutterfly
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Some are similar and some are very different. I have no problem being friends with any of them. I realize that not one parenting style is perfect and what works for ones family is fine with me.

Barabell
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 10:10 PM

I believe they can still be friends as long as they are still respectful of eath other's parenting styles, even if they don't agree with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)