• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stinky Shoes in the Closet

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:58 AM
  • 13 Replies

A certain member of my household who shall remain nameless has some pretty stinky shoes.   The odor is invading a certain closet.    I am trying different strategies to combat this, and wondering how other moms deal with it.   Baking soda?   Cedar bags?  Help!

And then skip on over and...

Join us in The Tween Titans Group!

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zamaria
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:32 AM
Lysol sprayed in the shoes every time they take them off, or an antifungal foot spray. They shouldn't wear the same shoes two days in a row. Swap them every other day. To fight the smell that's already there, slice a lemon and put it in a bowl in the closet for a day. Then take it out and put a box of baking soda in there the kind for the refrigetator. Or odor control kitty litter works great too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KTMOM
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:00 AM

yeah, baking soda is good, but also figuring out the smell itself and treating the FEET!

itsallabtthem84
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I make my husband put in some type of athlete power in his shoes and it has helped so much on his stinky feet.

shell81
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:43 AM

IDK not there yet but good luck. Google stuff to find out too:)

Zamaria
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 11:01 AM
Soaking the feet in a water/apple cider vinegar mix will help a lot! I just add it to my bath water. But not wearing the same shoes every day makes the biggest difference! The shoes need 24 hours to dry out real good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alisha34886
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Have you tried Oder Eaters footpowder?Try that and some Lysol disinfectant.If that don't work throw them in the washing machine and give them a good wash in some Tide washing detergant.My daughter has some smelly feet and she's 10 years old.I combated the smelly shoes and feet for her.She uses Dial soap and scrubs her feet really good with it.No more smelly feet! =)

Wyldbutterfly
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Quoting shell81:

IDK not there yet but good luck. Google stuff to find out too:)

This!

Barabell
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I would try a product with baking soda in it.

Also, sports stores have some strong deodorizers that would probably work well for smelly shoes.

kmrtigger
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Thanks ladies, I will give a few of these a try. I did sort the shoes and tossed a few old pairs that were hiding in the back of the closet, and sprayed some febreze in there.

mkuebler
by on Jun. 28, 2011 at 2:22 PM

My brother had incredibly stinky shoes (and socks and feet) but mom would never throw the shoes away.  She did apply talc or baking soda to his feet before he went to school or sports though, which helped a bit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)