Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:34 PM
  • 9 Replies

I saw this in The Stir - Apparently Sarah Palin isn't smarter than a 5th grader, are you surprised?

Sarah Palin Reveals She's NOT Smarter Than a 5th Grader 

Posted by Jeanne Sager
on June 4, 2011

I will say this about some of our would-be presidential candidates. It validates the very existence of Fox show/Jeff Foxworthy paycheck provider Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? Take Sarah Palin recasting the role of Revolutionary War era figure Paul Revere on his Midnight Ride during an appearance on her bus tour. Said the possible Republican candidate for 2012 (she's creeping up on Mitt Romney in the polls):

He who warned the British that they weren't going to be taking away our arms by ringing those bells and making sure as he's riding as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be secure, and we were going to be free.

Er, did you learn it that way in elementary school? Me neither. OK, it was so bad, you have to hear it from Sarah herself:

Her supporters will tell you we all misspeak once in awhile, and it's true. And yes, Democrats misspeak too. But the sheer number of gaffes, all things that pertain directly to things one should have learned in an American elementary school, coming out of this slate of presidential candidates is pretty damning.

We have Michele Bachmann with her running list of historical revisions, and the American teenager who has challenged her to a debate on them. There's Mitt Romney, who has, among other things, painted Hitler in a positive light. Tim Pawlenty has bungled Iraq and Iran. Should I keep going? I would, but it's painful, folks.

We could blame it on the American education system. These are, after all, four products of it (although . . . have we SEEN their birth certificates?). We could blame it on the party picking poor candidates.

Or we could go really wild and ponder whether Foxworthy's paying them all off with royalties from his show. How else could it possibly be on air? Oh right, because grown women possibly maybe running for the presidency don't know the story of Paul Revere.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
itsallabtthem84
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:21 PM

These days I don't think I am smarter then a 5th grader. 

shell81
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:46 AM

LOL I couldn't pass that show. She isn't any different than anyone else to me, so not surprising. I bet our good oh president couldnt' pass it either.

LAKirby7
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:29 PM

LOL..With the things they are teaching now, I don't think most of us could go on that show and win. Seriously. I don't think I ever knew as much as my daughter when I was in 5th grade.

KTMOM
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM

bless her heart..

MosKittie
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Quoting LAKirby7:

LOL..With the things they are teaching now, I don't think most of us could go on that show and win. Seriously. I don't think I ever knew as much as my daughter when I was in 5th grade.

Ahahaha...same here, I would volunteer to help my sons teacher when he was in the fifth grade. Let me tell you the stuff those kids had to do, wow. It was a gate class so that might be the reason, but honestly I don't think that matters. 

Barabell
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Quoting KTMOM:

bless her heart..

LOL

kmrtigger
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Quoting LAKirby7:

I agree. I would not be able to pass that show. Neither would DF and he's great with Jeopardy questions.

auroragold
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Gotta disagree for the most part.  That part of American History is SOOO taught and sung about that I can't imagine so many people couldn't accurately state what happened. Not the ENTIRE story but surely, the part about Paul Revere's ride.

That said - I think that Palin just isn't great at "on the spot" questions and probably knows the history as well as our current "good oh president".  I think she merely got tongue tied.

Mind you - I don't care for the woman but I think, in this case, she just slipped.

As for being smarter than a 5th grader.....a lot of those topics are things we were taught - and merely have forgotten since they're not a part of our everyday life.  Yes, I COULD pass the game. Maybe not win a million - but I could do plausible damage :)

fineyouguyswin
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 1:51 PM

lol I doubt I am

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)