Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Corn on the cob

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:57 PM
  • 8 Replies

How do you make yours?

I thought there were basically two ways to make it:

boil it in water
roast it

Then I read this

The Only Corn on the Cob I Will Ever Make Again

I stumbled upon a technique for cooking corn on the cob that I had never thought to do before. As I state in the title though, this is the only way I will ever make corn on the cob again so you should definitely try it.

I will began by openly admit that I don’t always buy the best quality corn that I could buy. Maybe that is why I am more open to splurging on these additional ingredients to achieve a better tasting vegetable. If corn is not in season or you are worried about the flavor of the corn, I would definitely recommend these small additions to your cooking water.

Since you are adding butter to the water, I didn’t even need to add a pat of it to my corn. It coats the corn cobs and gives you the buttery taste without the messy butter drips. Love the taste of a good sweet corn? The addition of milk and sugar adds the sweet taste to the corn that is sweet, but not too sweet.

I can’t recommend this recipe enough and hope you can give it a try this summer. If you don’t believe my guidance on cooking, seeing my son down three ears and beg for more is a great testimony to this tasty goodness.

Milk Boiled Corn on the Cob (adapted from this recipe on Recipezaar)

6–8 ears corn, husks and silk removed
water
1 1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter (optional and to add to the water)

Directions: 

1. Fill a large stock pot half full with water (use a large enough pot to hold all the corn). Add in the milk, sugar and butter.

2. Bring to a boil, then add in the corn cobs. Reduce heat to a simmer and allow corn to cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until just tender, depending on size of corn try not to over cook the corn as it will become tough.

3. Using long tongs remove and place on a plate or in a bowl, then cover with foil until ready to serve. Serve with butter and salt to taste (optional as I think this has the perfect flavor).

Originally published on MomAdvice

Via http://www.divinecaroline.com/33615/81970-only-corn-cob-make#ixzz1RY8FzBKY
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Rogue35
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Thanks that sounds good I will have to try it.

psych_mom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I just don't like stuff on my corn... I love the natural flavor.

KTMOM
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:28 PM

I like to do mine on the grill.

Barabell
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Quoting KTMOM:

I like to do mine on the grill.

We normally cook it on the grill too, and that's my preferred way.

Brehi
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Quoting Rogue35:

Thanks that sounds good I will have to try it.

itsallabtthem84
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Quoting psych_mom:

I just don't like stuff on my corn... I love the natural flavor.

kmrtigger
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 9:52 PM

I have made it the two ways you only ever heard of. This way seems a bit weird to me. But heck, I am game to try it.

Barabell
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Quoting kmrtigger:

I have made it the two ways you only ever heard of. This way seems a bit weird to me. But heck, I am game to try it.

Will you let us know how it tastes?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)