Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Songs that make you cry

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:59 PM
  • 31 Replies

You can leave a comment on their site - but why not tell us here!

Tell Us Which Songs Make You Cry

02:50 pm

July 8, 2011

by Robin Hilton

30th May 1975: Over-excited teenage girls scream and cry at the sight of their idols, pop group The Osmonds.  (Photo by Evening Standard/Getty Images)
Evening Standard/Getty Images

On the most recent All Songs Considered, Bob and I shared some summer music memories from listeners, and we got all weepy when we played Cat Stevens' "The Wind." The listener who picked the track had a touching story to go with it, but Bob and I agreed "The Wind" always chokes us up.

This got us thinking about other songs that make you cry. It turns out there are lots. Sometimes the melody or the singer's voice alone is enough to start the waterworks. But more often than not there's some sort of association we have with it. It reminds us of a time or a place or a person.

We want to hear from you. Go to our Soundcloud page and record yourself telling us about the song that always makes you cry. No need to prepare an essay or anything, you can just ad-lib it. Tell us your first name, where you're from, the song and why it makes you weepy. We'll use some of the stories we get in an upcoming episode of All Songs Considered

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/07/08/137702909/tell-us-which-songs-make-you-cry?sc=fb&cc=fp

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:14 PM

When I first heard it - I "needed" the lyrics.  Then I read somewhere that it was written for a child suffering from some disease (don't know it's true or not) and that made it even more poignant.

Found the notes on the song lyrics

Someday Soon is a song by the folk rock supergroup Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. It was released on the album Looking Forward in 1999. Graham Nash wrote the song following the June 1999 death of 14-year-old Julia Petrino, an Alexandria, Virginia, girl with whom Nash had developed a correspondence during her illness with cancer.

When he performed this song on the CSNY2K tour in 2000, Nash introduced it by saying, "This song is for Julia." Her name is included in the acknowledgements section of the album's liner notes.

Though Graham Nash felt inspired by Miss Petrino to write this song, the lyrics are directed toward her parents, from whom Nash had received updates on Julia's condition. The lyrics express a wish for healing for the bereaved parents: "Keep holding on to the love that has made you strong/ And someday soon heartache will all be gone."

KTMOM
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:27 PM

There are too many to list for me.

auroragold
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:30 PM

^^ how about just one? ^^

SuperLooneyMom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:42 PM
More lately it's "you've got a friend in me" from toy story 3 . At the end and everything going as it did for a series ended it really got to me. I am a toy story fan.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
styler7
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:15 PM

http://youtu.be/zr1pwZXf65w

many things spelled wrong in this one, but.....oh well :).

itsallabtthem84
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:39 PM

BUMP!

styler7
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:44 PM

why can I not figure out how to post the actual video in my reply, instead of just a link? (besides being dumb..lol)

psych_mom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM

The Christmas Shoes song.

Wyldbutterfly
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:02 AM

Quoting psych_mom:

The Christmas Shoes song.

That one gets me all the time.

Wyldbutterfly
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Wind beneath my wings by Bette Middler. That was the song on my Father's funeral video.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)